ad: wmr-1

Testing coax cable faults with the MFJ-269c

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Apr 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

You can use your MFJ-269c for more than just an SWR analyzer. There are multiple things this unit can be used for. Here is using it to test coax for faults, and getting the length of various runs of coax. Did you buy an unknown amount of coax at hamfest? Do you have a fault somewhere in 300 feet, and having a hard time finding it? You will see how i saved 45 feet of LMR400 here.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      4.5 KB
      Views:
    KM4TND, IX1FIT, K4TO and 4 others like this.
  2. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

KI7HKE and W2CPD like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm doing a video about putting new batteries in mine.

If you use it much, you'll be doing this quite a lot, so it pays to get good at it.:)

K5YVY likes this.
  5. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve is going to be 1hr + ?
    ;)

K5YVY likes this.
  6. W7LDG

W7LDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video, Thanks

7. AC2FO

AC2FO Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not put rechargeables in there never have to open it and you can help save the earth or something like that

8. K5YVY

K5YVY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the video, I bought my 269 second hand and had no idea it had these additional features. I've could have used this many times in the past.

9. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in my USCG telecomms days, we used a 25KV impulse generator (thumper) to open up marginal cable faults.
    Can the MFJ blow open those hard to pin down, marginal faults? :p

Sometimes, brute force really is the best way to do it. Sometimes, not.

KK6QMS likes this.
  10. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Well worth the price :)

11. KE4YMX

KE4YMX Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the MFJ259C provide the same fault finding as the 269C with the less band capability?

12. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a power supply. My batteries last for several years. Even through field day.
    AF4RK

13. AF4RK

You should use an AC power supply except for those times when AC power is unavailable . I change batteries every few years so they don't go bad inside the unit. Works great, I take it to Field Day and to NPOTA activations and use it on battery power.
    AF4RK

14. AF4RK

By the way, I bought my MFJ 259 in 2000
    AF4RK

15. K4TO

K4TO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video! Thanks. However, I would have taken the demo one step further on the last test of the 50 foot piece. Take the 2 feet cut off piece and pull on the center conductor with a pair of pliers. If there was a break, the short end should have pulled out, confirming that, yes, there was a fault. My guess is what you were seeing was a variation in the velocity factor. VF varies. Even sampling the same run of coax from the same manufacturer, there will be variations. That is why you always use an analyzer to cut phasing lines for arrays of antennas. You cannot "go by the book" using specs from the manufacturer. I'm an old EE, ham of 60 years. It is refreshing to see someone like you, taking up the task of carrying our beloved hobby into the future. 73 ... Dave, K4TO

KE4YMX likes this.