Tesla Wall Charger - Any RFI?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4EI, Jan 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4EI

K4EI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Contemplating purchase of a Tesla. If I end up pulling the trigger on it, the 240v Tesla Wall Charger would be mounted outside the shack, literally just feet from the entry (outside) of my antenna feedlines and (inside) from my operating position.

Can any owners of the Tesla Wall Charger comment on RFI?

2. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Not looking to buy a Tesla but I sure like them. Have you thought about powering your shack with the Tesla battery in case of emergency?

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

In light of their self-combusting events, I might consider a longer charging cord...:p

K0UO and K3XR like this.
  4. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a single 240v car charger and two 120v car chargers, typically running simultaneously...no RFI issues. They aren't Tesla though - the 240v is a Clipper Creek brand while the other two were the stock chargers that came with the cars.

Edit - they are mounted about 20 feet from my shack and feed lines.

K2NCC and AE8W like this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

We had a charging system at where I worked in Oregon and I often listened to my 2m ht without any issue while a car was charging.

7. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet a lot more car fires result from ruptured gas tanks in ICE vehicles. Doesn't appear that the fires killed anyone in the Teslas, but some of the injuries from crashes did - just as they do in conventional cars.

8. W3MMM

Whoa! 14 out of 900,000 vehicles caught fire in the last 8 years?

If those were houses, the local fire department would go out of business. That's a pretty darn good track record

WA7PRC, WJ4U and W4IOA like this.
  9. W3MMM

That's 14 / 900,000 Teslas with fires.

Now lets look at ICE cars: There are 17,500,000 cars sold per year in the US, and there are 171,500 car fires in the US per year - now, not every car fire is a NEW car, so let's say that the average car age is 10 years, and so only 10% of the fires are new. That's .09% of cars overall catching fire year year.

Teslas are tracking at .0015% of cars catching fire over the last last 8 years.

You are 60x more likely to have a car fire in your ICE car (of any kind) than in a Tesla.

Thanks for the data!

N2RJ, WA7PRC, W4IOA and 1 other person like this.
  10. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've often said that if tesla ever made it where your car could back feed your house, I would seriously consider getting one.

So you could charge the car with solar during the day, and it takes the place of a battery bank during the night.

W3MMM likes this.