ad: elecraft

Terry Hebert, KG4GLS

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KG4KWV, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KG4KWV

KG4KWV Banned QRZ Page

It is with a heavy heart that I pass along the news that Terry Hebert, KG4GLS, passed away yesterday.

Terry was one of the communications officers at the Virginia Department Of Emergency Management (VDEM) and a fellow ham.

2. KI4MCW

KI4MCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Remembrances

On behalf of the entire RATS organization, I offer our heart-felt condolences to Terry's family and friends. Though only a member of our club briefly, Terry was well known to nearly all of us through his work with the Department of Emergency Management. His friendship, leadership, and efforts on behalf of amateur radio have touched the entire ham radio community in central Virginia.

There are several warm remembrances of Terry making the rounds via email. With the permission of the authors, I am posting their comments here in order to celebrate the life of a gentleman who was universally liked and respected by all who knew him.

Robert Marshall KI4MCW
    Richmond Amateur
    Telecommunications Society

-------------

One of our members has just become a Silent Key. It is with a heavy heart that I pass along the news that Terry Hebert, KG4GLS, passed away yesterday.

Terry had recently joined RATS, was a founding member of ARCA and very much the shaker and mover in the state hierarchy that made ARCA the group it is today. I will pass along information as it becomes available.

Tray N4PAT

-------------

To all..

As one of the people involved in getting Terry started in radio I am taking the news of his loss somewhat personally..

I first met Terry during a conversation over my back fence about the wires in my back yard. He was at the time painting my neighbors house and was interested in learning more about ham radio.

The day he finished painting my neighbors house I gave him a Tech plus study guide and enough wire and parts to make his first dipole. Upon thanking me for the study guide he stated his intention of getting his license and wanted to get involved in the hobby.

The rest as they say is now history.

Some of us know that Terry was by trade a painter and after being injured wasn't able to continue to earn a living as one. Ham radio became his new vocation and went on to become one of the more active hams in the Richmond area and later heavily involved in public service at the county and state level.

To sum up my thoughts of Terry I recall the moment I gave him his first study guide.

He was genuinely warm and gracious and excited that someone would take the time to help him get started. He tried to pay me for the guide several times.

Only after explaining to him that this was how Hams treated fellow Hams and the only acceptable method of payment was to simply "pass it on" did he finally accept my gift and promise he would.

To say that Terry had kept his promise would be an understatement.

Mike Baker
    N4LSP

--------------

All:

So sad.

Terry was indeed one of the finest gentlemen that I ever had the pleasure to meet. If it weren't for Ham radio, I doubt our paths would ever have crossed. He was a man of great character. It's not the distance your signal travels, it's the people you meet.

Baker, N4LSP, is a good egg. He's a great Elmer and a fine man. I also was the recipient of his kindness when I first entered the hobby. His 5+ year old loop is still my #1 antenna.

Thanks, Mike, for getting Terry started.

Joe/KI4GAP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.