Terrorist Networks Use HF E-Mail

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5PVL, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

One can always encrypt beforehand, just like was done with Morse transmittion in WWII, but with codes that are almost unbreakable. The mode used is NOT an issue, except to those with an axe to grind.

2. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone up to a real discussion on this topic...

So far seems not..

Consider this.. PII and PIII (Used by Internet/HF-Emailers ) can not be monitored or decrypted unless you own one of the SCS $1000 modems.. So it is difficult for someone not dedicated to PII or PIII to justify the purchase... So unless their is widespread monitoring of the bands, by someone.. Just about anyone can abuse it and quite possibly get away with it...

73 Jerry

3. W3BNY

W3BNY Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought this was Jerry. Hey even I havent posted a picture....yet...But what are you trying to get at. I dont see how WL2K compromises "national security" more than your AOL/vanilla ISP email client does. And as for encryption again, when as amateurs are we allowed to encrypt a transmission or hide its contents. I would interpret that as the use of one time pads as well. Even in the MARS world, we cant pass "encrypted" traffic!

So Jerry, what are you getting at.

4. KB1KIX

KB1KIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Winlink or any other method is a joke - in this sense.

I spent some time in New York - I think that like my neighbors - they can use carrier pigeons as well.

Like was said, Ryder trucks, etc.

Email - like they don't have a poppy pub with email in every cave?

Encryption is readily available -if not, they can use their funds to take any kid in any major university studying crypto and deploy one of their methods of that as well - and once again - we will not be any wiser. This was the lesson we learned from the whole PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) debacle.

The technology is there in so many other forms. This can go on forever.

What if they use Steganagraphy? We can see a simple picture - but if they look at the picture in a text file, see a hidden message - not difficult to do - I demonstrated this at a conference as well.

So, with that in mind, do we shut down the entire internet?

btw, what is with terrorism and Ryder trucks, I could never figure that out - must be the branding!

Jonathan

5. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

KB1KIX says:

It must be the OK City bomber, I think he rented one of those.

Nice Dobbshead! - Always good to have one around.

Charles Brabham,  N5PVL

Director: USPacket
    Admin: HamBlog.Com
    Weblog: N5PVL's  Blog

6. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Do we need to have a bake sale to get PIII modems for NSA??? Can the CIA not spring for a few of these if they are curious?
    There are a number of hams who HATE any kind of internet-radio link. Obviously they think linking Winlink to terrorism will help their cause. Just what we need - get people to associate those "weird guys with antennas on their cars and houses" with Al Queda.

7. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

W3BNY says:

All that is covered on the web-site I provided the link to. Actually its described very clearly, how HF e-mail is particularly useful to terrorist organizations.

It's about as much fun to read that stuff as watching paint dry, but there is a good deal of information there. My question is about the quality of the information, and what steps we should take if it turns out to be accurate.

Charles Brabham,  N5PVL

Director: USPacket
    Admin: HamBlog.Com
    Weblog: N5PVL's  Blog

8. N9LYA

Hello dude..
    Thanks for asking
    I agree... W2K is just as bad as my Internet account.. Just for the record I do not use AOL.. AOL is for beginners.. Butthat is another argument.. Not for here..

What I am getting at is PII and PIII code propriatory.. And unless you can monitor them for illegal content or QRM (Pay $1000 for a full blown modem). You have no way to know who or what they are transmitting.. SCS will not release the code even for recieve only.. And all W2K stations have been told to ONLY ID in PII or PIII.. Why would they do that usless they are hiding something...

Thats it in a nutshell... If you need more please ask..

Best 73 Jerry N9LYA
    www.n9lya.com

9. K4AH

K4AH Ham Member QRZ Page

How is what I said refusing to help? In WWII the ham bands were shut down for national security. It did not stop the use of radio by the spies. I personally do not want that to happen again.

I like radio and I like the Internet. Some self-important people seem to have decided that a mode they don't like should be banned because of it's possible use by terrorists. I personally wish we still had CW nets on MARS. I joined Navy MARS and they quit using CW at the same time.

I am just now exploring some of the digital modes with QRP but do not find them nearly as fun as CW.

I rambled a little there so I will post this so I can get shot down in flames for not doing my part.

10. N9LYA

The key is hams are suposed to be self policing.. I am sure the CIA and crew will be able to monitor.. But who will monitor the PII and PIII users... for Part 97 rules and qrm violations?
    Will each ARRL OOC and OO have one???

73 Jerry n9lya

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.