ad: Alphaant-1

Terrorist Networks Use HF E-Mail

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5PVL, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

The URL of a webpage entitled Worldwide Terrorist Networks Heavily Use HF E-Mail came to me via e-mail, and I thought I would share it here as the page points out some disturbing mis-use of HF e-mail systems of all types.

WinLink is specifically mentioned in this report.

This is information that should be verified or debunked, not left to float around unverified and so not acted upon. If terrorists really are using WL2K systems to move their e-mail over HF and so avoid detection, perhaps we should discontinue the use of HF e-mail systems, denying terrorists this resource as thier transmissions would then tend to stand out, not get lost in the WL2K "crowd".

In light of this information, if true, would the ARESCOM plan to seed WL2K stations thoughout all amateur bands be a wise or responsible course for ARES to take?

Should the DHS be notified of the danger that the proliferation of these HF e-mail systems will pose to our country?

Why help out the terrorists by making it easy for them to utilize HF e-mail, something that amateur radio operators, of all people, can easily do without?

After all, we are at war.

If there is anything at all to this report, I'd like to see an immediate curtailment of all legitimate WL2K activity, in the interest of national security.

In the end, we may need to ban the use or transport of Internet e-mail over amateur radio, period. We should not be putting that kind of tool into the hands of terrorists.

Charles Brabham,  N5PVL

Director: USPacket
    Admin: HamBlog.Com
    Weblog: N5PVL's  Blog

2. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Give me a break! So you ban internet standards... then the terrorists will use automatic Morse.... we should ban that! Yes, that's the answer!

3. K4AH

K4AH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a better idea. Ban phones, television, radio (commercial), internet, internet e-mail, CB radio, GMRS, ham radio ,cell phones, newspapers, magazines, and anything else a terrorists might use. I guess that also means all forms of transportation because terrorists have been known to use that also. Remember Oklahoma City (a truck),WTC and the Pentagon (jets).

Before I get blasted the above is tongue in cheek.

We have fought many wars and are fighting one now so we can enjoy these freedoms. If someone is bent on doing something you cannot stop them. Where there is a will there is a way.

4. W3BNY

W3BNY Ham Member QRZ Page

Chas,

What would you propose? You cant do/use encryption. And you really cant fault the whole standard. Terrorists have been using cell and land line phones for years. And what about the big "I" That has been the communications hub for terrorists since way back. Check out the usenet groups. you see wierd cryptic messages there all the time. Ok they are all in the binaries group (for the most part) but you see stuff there all the time.

And what about uhh, pure radio? I guess you havent heard Licolnshire Poacher, Cherry Ripe, CIA Cindy, The Polytones (they are just too cool) or any of the other "Radio Bingo Clandestina" stations from around the world.

I use Winlink. It has its faults/problems. It also has its advantages. In my short tenure in the Amateur community, and my varied experience in the Military community, I have learned that NOTHING is "Sailor Proof". I try not to trust any one standard and the only thing I will use. I try to keep up in many standards so if one fails, I can swap over. Yeah that normally means that I will be mediocre at best across the board but sometimes being a mediocre multi-mode operator is better than an ACE single mode operator who's "kung-fu" just got shot down. QSL?

Anyhow, thats this Junior Woodchucks take on the whole winlink thing.

5. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

K4AH says:
    Amateurs have done thier part in the past to help out in a wartime situation. - I do not see why we should refuse to do so now.

- But I still say the information in the report should be verified before we get our panties all in a twist, one way or the other.

Charles Brabham,  N5PVL

Director: USPacket
    Admin: HamBlog.Com
    Weblog: N5PVL's  Blog

6. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

You are so right! ALL HF COMMS SHOULD BE BANNED!
    When radios are outlawed, only outlaws will have radios. Then we can just DF to ANYONE with a transmitter and kil them on the spot. I have also noticed there are 250,000 aircraft in this country. We should destroy them all too, right after Ryder trucks. I know some people have "issues" with Winlink, but this is really going too far.

7. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

He is not saying all HF Comms should be banded.. Just those that use the internet as a medium.. As their is the weak link...
    Pure RF used by HAMS on HAM bands, does not have the same vulnerability to this threat as the internet linked (Email system) used by WINLINk has...

So do not get all excited and start posting non-sense.

73 Jerry N9LYA

8. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sure terrorist comms will all come to a halt as soon as winlink goes away. Give ME a break. If I were a terrorist the last thing on Earth I would do is run my comms through a bunch of ham stations run by nosey busybodies. BTW, free web pages on Compuserve are not exactly the gold standard of internet research.

9. W3BNY

W3BNY Ham Member QRZ Page

Even from this silly rabbits furry brain I can see why they are adopting winlink. Given the Internet model of survivability (this was designed to withstand WWIII remember....) the entire Internet backbone model wasnt/isnt supposed to crash, just re-align. So technically....in theory....someone....somewhere will have access to the Internet and we are just getting to that person via RF. and if the whole Internet fails (scary thought) Well bust out the brown paper sacks and pencils (as my mentor W3YVQ would say). We should know how to do traffic the old fashioned way. He (W3YVQ) seriously espouses Winlink but as we all know, he wrote the book on NTS traffic and tries to pass that on to us Junior Woodchucks on the MEPN. (sorry Im straying)

Anyhow, Winlink is cool, Winlink has problems, Winlink will work, If the ENTIRE internet isnt dead. and if it is, no ammout of NTS skills will save us cuz we are probably suckin really hard if the entire world Internet is dead!

10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, you've stumbled onto the government's real plan to wipe out Al Qaeda. By encouraging the deployment of BPL, first as a ruse to sell Internet service to rural folk, and now as a way for power companies to control their own equipment to be paid for by the ratepayers, they will render all long-range HF radio communication useless. Osama Bin-Monster, in his cave in Pakistan, will no longer be able to communicate with his troops. Soon, he will have to travel to the nearest Internet connection, where our FBI will nab him!

If I were a terrorist, I don't think I'd hide my communications in the middle of a ham band where 10 of thousands of people are listening, although WINLINK does provide a small amount of privacy. I hope Al Qaeda is using it. Since the data is merely compressed, not encrypted, it should be very easy for our CIA to decode.

Too much wierd stuff in that web link to take it seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.