Terminated End-Fed Inverted V antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W9HJ, Oct 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A number of people have asked me about an antenna that I build that works all bands with no or little need for an ATU. While a good number of hams have heard of a Terminated Folded Dipole (T2FD) antenna, not so many know about the Terminated End-Fed antenna.

This antenna dates back to the 1940s and was, and still is, used by the military as a quick deployment and easy to use because it works pretty much frequencies for transmit and receive with no need for fine tuning. Hams use it for the same reason and especially for EMCOMM and ALE (Automatic Link Establishment) on 2M down to 630M or even 2200M.

So here is a video that shows various antenna at my home QTH, including a Diamond X50A, an AOR SA7000 3 kHz to 2 GHz receive antenna, a Hustler 9BTV (a 6BTV with optional 12/17/60M add-ons), and finally my take on the Terminated End-Fed Inverted V antenna. The part about the Terminated Antenna, including lots of SWR sweeps, plots, diagrams, etc. starts at the 7 minute 50 second mark:

Here is a video I made awhile ago that shows the noise reduction of the TEF antenna as compared to a standard 80-10M EFHW antenna:

KC1HWT and K0UO like this.
  2. KC3GHK

KC3GHK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice antenna farm nicely installed! Beautiful towers (trees) well spaced! Great that you can switch between the various antennas and use the one that works best! Well done!

3. W9HJ

Thank you. The wife and I love all the trees, although in the fall it's a lot of work keeping up on the sticks, nuts, and leaves.

Yes, inside the shack I took a 2 RU rack panel and put 10 UHF connector all-threads, 4 for antennas, 3 for radios (and a spare), and 2 for a linear amplifier in and out. That way with a jumper coax, I can connect any transceiver to any antenna, with or without an amplifier. When not in use, I can just simply disconnect the jumper(s) from the antenna and the radios are safe. I used to use a bunch of AlphaDelta switches, but that got expensive and large the more I wanted to expand the system and although I made my shack desk out of solid wood door and is pretty large, desk space is at a premium.

[​IMG]

(And yes, that is the desk all cleaned up. Normally there is not pads, letters, QSL cards, drink cups, etc. also vying for desk space.)

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great work
    I love V-Beams and any type of Traveling wave antenna they are unique and have no SWR, that is what makes traveling wave antennas so unique. But you still have to match them to your feed lines.

I completed a project a couple of years ago stacking two V- beams that are very long and at 190 foot in the air/with reflectors behind them/ like a distributed feed antenna.

If you terminate them they're quieter and flatter and good front to back.

See my QRZ page

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily

W9HJ likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just watched your video through

Terminated End-Fed Inverted V antenna. Works like a (T2FD).
    Still a dipole antenna with a load added to it.

Totally different than a Vee-beam which is traveling wave antenna. The similarities are/ they are both broad banded.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

B&W has sold the same thing as a complete kit with the transformer, terminating resistor and wire (other than the ground wire) for a very long time, I believe since at least the 1960s.

It's still in their catalog today: Barker & Williamson - ACS broadband end fed vee HF antenna page (bwantennas.com)

I've purchased and used theirs, twice (different locations, probably 20 years apart). "It works," but it sure does not perform as well as a dipole for each band, where I've made that direct comparison many times.:)

W9HJ and K0UO like this.
  7. W9HJ

I actually used the B&W as inspiration for this one. Granted theirs are Mil Spec (if I remember) and cost upwards of $1800 if memory serves. Yeah, this is definitely not the most efficient antenna to be sure, but it has its advantages and is just another arrow in the quiver of hamming it up.

K0UO likes this.
  8. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Part of the reason terminated antennas work so "well" .... and by "well" I mean have low swr and lower noise floor is explained by this quote by Cebik.

I agree with the "another" arrow in the quiver analogy, but I prefer to keep losses at a minimum.

K0UO likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe your memory serves you fine -- they went crazy.

When B&W was in Pennsylvania (like 40 years ago) I picked one up from them directly (at their facility in Bristol, PA -- which was only about 65 miles from my home in NJ) for $199. Of course, that was 1980 dollars, so that would be about $699 today based on the CPI inflation calculator. But not $1800.:p

W9HJ likes this.
  10. KC1HWT

KC1HWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Exquisite work! Great install too.