Terminal strips/Blocks

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KB1FGC, Jan 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KB1FGC

KB1FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I wasn't sure where to post this,But I need to add a terminal strip to connect several wires together.I see terminal blocks that are grouped what look like groups of 2 each that total up to 8 groups.Do they call connect together or just the groups of 2?I hope I was clear on explanation.
    THanks

2. WN2SQC

WN2SQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Typically the set of 2 terminals opposite each other are connected together. If I read you right I hope this answers your question. 0C9EED61-4189-4302-80E4-64FD8952D5B1.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  3. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

There are two basic types of terminal strips. Terminal strips are as the name says, for mounting/connecting Crimp wire terminals. You can of course use the screw type and simply wind the wire under the screw head.

Stud type,
    [​IMG]

and screw type, with either one or two screws on a single bar.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also more modern versions that have a crimp bar under the screw head to allow one to simply slip the stripped wire end between the two bars. In the pic below, the vertical pairs of screws are connected together with a bar, and the square washers under the screw heads allow simply inserting the stripped wire under it with no wrapping. NOT "flight worthy" but they are convenient.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Click the pic

PU2OZT likes this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

p.s Terminal blocks can be jumpered to one beside it for additional connections. Jumpers can be purchased or you can make your own.

Terminal Jumper.jpg
    Older style Terminal Strips are available in various sizes and grounded or ungrounded terminals.
    Terminal Strip.jpg

KU3X likes this.
  5. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me that this answer should be """ just look at it"""" or use an ohm meter to check continuity..

6. KB1FGC

KB1FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I should of added,I am considering getting block style terminal strips.I ended up finding some older style strips though.

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another type is the “euro” style terminal block/strip. Insert stripped wire and tighten screw from top.

6B55CAD5-593A-423D-B510-86464A36139A.jpeg

8. GNUUSER

GNUUSER QRZ Member

ive used many types before but when it comes to terminal strips i prefer the euro type and have a large stock of them.
    much safer against accidental shorts by tools.

N0TZU likes this.