Tentec PTO rework

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by N1OOQ, May 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, my Omni D has been needing a PTO job for a while... Tuning was getting more and more "thick", and finally it got to the point where I could crank the knob forever and the tuning wouldn't change much. :rolleyes::(

So I took it apart this weekend. Everything looks ok in there, it's just that the grease they used dried out. I've seen it described as "chewing gum"... Yup. It's been in there since 1979 (found a date written on the PTO box), so I suppose it's not that surprising.

Quite a pain in the butt cleaning that off of all of the small parts... Inside and out. Soaked them all in denatured alcohol for a while... Which didn't actually seem to help that much. Then lots of careful wiping with bits of paper towel and tweezers. There is a hollow brass shaft that has to be cleaned on the inside... Fun.

But anyway, that part is done. :) Only re-greasing (Mobil 1 synthetic) and reassembly remains. It was relatively easy to get it apart, following the instructions... It's just a big, sticky mess to do the work. At least the thick grease keeps small bits from flying around. Looking forward to the results.

2. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've serviced several dozen Ten Tec PTOs over the years. It's a dirty job, but well worth the effort. Isopropyl alcohol works marginally better than denatured alcohol. It's important to get all of the old dried-up grease out of that hardware. To get into those hard to reach places, I use cotton tipped applicators with wooden sticks like you'd use in gun cleaning. I get them off eBay really cheap. I've taken to using white lithium grease for the re-lube. It will last forever and it doesn't take a whole lot to do the job. If anyone needs a copy of the TT rebuild instructions, email me (don't PM me) and I'll send you a PDF.

I have four vintage TT rigs in the restoration queue now (a Triton IV Digital, a 540, and 2 x Century 21) and they all need their PTOs serviced! :rolleyes:

K8AI likes this.
  3. N1OOQ

Ever use Tentec's rebuild kit? Now that I've seen the inner sanctum, I'm curious what they thought might need replacing...

4. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job, I've rebuilt half a dozen or so Ten Tec PTOs and the job's not too bad but well worth the effort. I bought a rig that came with the TT rebuild kit once and as I recall it had a couple of the pieces for that pressure assembly at the rear of the PTO shaft and a little plastic packet of the grease. That was the third or fourth TT PTO I'd rebuilt and I didn't really see any advantage to the replacement parts they included in the kit.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I miss "the old" Ten Tec of 25-30-35-40 years ago.

I had a Triton IV that needed a PTO rebuild, then later a Scout that also needed one.

Call on the phone, ask for new PTO, and they'd send one out at no cost, asking you return the old one in the same carton after you've removed and replaced it.

They did that for rigs that were 25 years out of warranty.

I never had to "rebuild" one, since they'd simply send a new one and making the swap was easy in those rigs.

6. N1OOQ

Well it's done. It's interesting to witness how smooth these are when they're not all gummed up! The counter is showing appropriate freqs, so it seems to work.

It's been raining here, so the on-air test will have to wait until the 450 ohm feedline dries out...

K7TRF likes this.