TenTec Pegasus - RF in mic audio

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by VE3TMT, Aug 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
  1. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if this is the correct forum (admin, please feel free to move if not)

Radio is the TenTec Pegasus, headset is a Koss SB40. I've used this headset with numerous radios over the years and never had a problem with RF in my TX audio. The Pegasus is another story.

I run the mic gain at 5/10, speech processor is not used.

Only sporadically I hear RF in my monitored TX signal (using the Pegasus TX monitor)

When I listen to my signal on my RSP1A, I don't hear it, but other ops have mentioned a slight hint of it during QSOs. I bought some Fair Rite mix 31 snap on cores and put three of them on the mic lead that runs from the inside of the mic jack to the PCB. I have one on the outside cord as well. I also soldered .01uf caps from the mic audio lead to ground and the speaker audio lead to ground.

Not sure what else to try. I've heard if the power supply is too close to the radio this may cause it?? Power supply is an Astron VS-35M and the Pegasus sits on top of it. I had it about three feet away at one point with no change.

The Pegasus is also grounded to my cold water pipe, it's the only ground I have access to. With or without this connection, the RF is still there.

Ideas?

Max

2. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

Max What antenna, how close to the radio? The feed line / Power too?

3. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Antenna is either A3S or DX-B sloper. Antennas at at other end of house on top of tower, so not proximity effect. RFI is there when running 50 or 500W.

Max

4. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

Placing a LINE ISOLATOR at the output of the transceiver or linear amplifier, prevents RF from traveling along the outer surface of the coax's shield. Any RF current flowing on the coax braid that can be radiated or coupled to other equipment is forced to ground by the very high impedance of the LINE ISOLATOR. RF current always takes the path of least resistance.
    It can work if this is the problem (CM ). Radio Works sells them. Bypass cap in the mic .01uf has helped in some cases. Good luck!

K7TRF likes this.
  5. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

What level of SWR do you normally see?
    The antenna being at the other end of the house and on the tower is no guarantee there won't be any RFI to the equipment.
    Your still in the RF fields.
    Take it one step at a time.
    The headphones can pick up separately.
    The Mike cable can be another source.
    Sometimes if your in the RF field, the only course is to do something with antenna location.
    Make sure all the cables are shielded and al connectors are tight.