ad: Alphaant-1

Tentec and Alpha UPDATES

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4TAX, Feb 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4TAX

K4TAX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Subject: UPDATE: Status of Alpha RF Systems and TEN-TEC
    Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 00:37:50 +0100

Dear OM and YL’s

Last night Mike Dishop gave me an update on the current status of the two companies and asked me to pass it on wherever I can. Here is the status, followed by a personal message from me:

BOTH COMPANIES ARE ALIVE AND WELL AND DEFINITELY STILL IN BUSINESS !

It is sad to read the recent email posts on several forums, questioning whether these two companies are out of business or still in business. Both companies are very much alive and slowly progressing.

Recently Dishtronix completed its two new web pages for these companies, migrated all of the data from its old RKR website to the two individual new web sites, and closed down the old site. This is great progress.

UNFORTUNATELY the closing of the old site was seen as an omen of bad news when indeed it is a breath of fresh air!

The new sites are now up and running.

Here are the two new web sites:
    … ALPHA: http://www.alpharfsystems.com

… TEN-TEC: http://www.tentec.com

Here is the current status of both companies:

ALPHA: Alpha is currently producing 9500 and 8410 amplifiers. Both amplifiers will be back in stock in March (2017) and sitting on the shelves. All back orders have already been filled. Alpha repair service has always been operating and continues to deliver first class service to its customers.

TEN-TEC: Ten-Tec has moved to its new, larger facility and has continuously repaired radios at its Sevierville TN site. It has been getting repaired radios out the door on a daily basis (except for the few days where they were moving shop). There is still no telephone service. Email-only. Service requests should be sent to service@tentec.com .

“Robert” is answering emails, but only works on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. If you email on Friday, you need to be patient because he isn’t going to read it until Tuesday. The repair technicians are working five days a week fixing radios.

TEN-TEC production: The current plan is to do a small run of Eagle transceivers. The projected price (stripped) is $1600 to $1700. It is obvious that Ten-Tec cannot compete on price alone with the subsidized engineering in Japan and slave (like) labor in China. If you love Ten-Tec and want a Ten-Tec radio, then you will have to pay what it costs to build a Ten-Tec in USA.

[End of official Message]

Privately I wish to say thank you to Mike Dishop for all of his efforts to rescue these two traditional American companies. He is fighting an uphill battle and rather than coaching him on, it seems some people would rather re-send false and fake news about his efforts – as if they hope he will fail. Disgusting!

At the end of the day it is up to us to decide whether we want Alpha RF Systems and Ten-Tec to survive, or go the route of Collins, Drake, Hammerlund, Heathkit, and others.

I challenge all of you to join me in applauding Mike Dishop for his efforts to keep these two companies alive, but Mike is beginning to feel like nobody cares anymore, based on the ongoing flow of negative emails.

If you approve of his efforts , PLEASE EXPRESS IT IN AN EMAIL – (he reads our email posts).

Just REPLY here to this email.

You don’t have to send money, just tell Mike you appreciate his efforts.

The ball is in YOUR court. Come on guys, LET’S DO IT.

Rick, DJ0IP

KA4DPO, KA8UGB and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  2. WA2ALY

WA2ALY Ham Member QRZ Page

3. WA2ALY

Suggest the Orion III has two (2) large (the same size) nobs

4. WA2ALY

#1: consider the Orion III to have two (2) large /same size VFO knobs.
    Nothing screams 'ORION ' more than those two, same size knobs.

#2: when you are ready to sell Alpha amplifiers again. You had better use the 'BRICK ON THE KEY', advertisement.
    Nothing screams ALPHA AMPLIFIER, more than the 'BRICK ON THE KEY' .
    And you had better use an American straight key. (with a RED knob).

5. WA2ALY

While I'm at it.
    No one wants to see Mike, TEN TEC, or ALPHA fail.
    (so please avoid the False News Jargon)
    The silence you hear is the silence of hope and patience.

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to remember that its not the cost, its the rich feature matrix that makes me pry open my wallet. What is the point in a mature model that will not be stimulating to the end user.
    One thing I need is a radio that functions as an internet appliance, not BS this and that arcane crap. Use Dyn and a web browser for remote access, just plug in the ethernet cable, set up dyn, go home and hit it with a web browser. This is the year 2017 not 1990 like icom is still stuck in, the 7300 is a cool radio that Ten Tec will have to compete with it. Icom's remote software is useless, its cool if you want your rig on a monitor in the shack.
    Second would be CW mode over the internet from a remote location, if Ten Tec could master that it would be another selling point.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  7. KT7TT

KT7TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mike, I for one, appreiate your work in keeping Alpha and Ten-Tec alive. We CAN compete with foreign competition in this country, and hopefully more Americans will realize if we don't help ourselves by buying American, no one else is going to help us ! Keep up the good work.
    Mark KT7TT

8. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the idea of US made radios, and have purchased TT. However the reality is, it is a pretty complicated product for a rather niche market, and to expect lower prices is unrealistic. I suppose if the ham radios were a sideline to a more profitable commercial market, it would be likely that they could succeed. The Japanese companies have commercial lines to support the bottom line. The only company making "economical" stuff for US hams is MFJ, and we know what the naysayers say about them.

KA8UGB likes this.
  9. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember Dick Ehrhorn (I if recall correctly) ETO amplifiers.

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

If you like the local software just set up a computer in the shack running that and then a remote desktop connection to it from wherever. I'm already planning to do that with my just arrived Peaberry QRP SDR.

11. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the info, I just want is simple as possible. I just want to go to the domain, enter a passcode then see a frequency readout display, a few buttons and start talking or using the key with some kind of USB dongle connected to my Begali. That will be interesting how your plan works out.

12. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well it's not as simple as that, but it should be fairly easy. You can use a Remote Desktop connection to connect your local computer to your remote in-shack computer, then it works just like you are there in the shack, except with some delay depending on your connections.

13. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ten Tec rigs have been a large part of my stations over the years. I am sad to have sold any of my old TT rigs. The Omni 7 & blue screen Jupiter are sitting on my bench now. They run great.They are keepers. Keeping Alpha & Ten Tec sound like a good idea to me. A run of Eagles, oh boy! I want one. I have seen some of these in foreign market radio shops? May be they are gone by now? So keep up your efforts dishtronix! Digital rigs with built in digital modes RTTY, JT65,
    PSK 31 and such would appeal to me.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    K8ZFJ likes this.
  14. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

That is assuming they would provide a USB jack on the back of the rig for a keyboard.

15. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RIGHT you are. Wonder if that is a patented feature on icoms or yaesu rigs? Would Ten Tec be allowed to do that or list a plug & play keyboard?