Ten-Tec

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5XS, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt there'd be much of a market for it...and I doubt they'd have the resources to do it. I would guess that if they can't get their revamped Omni VII out the door, they are not going to be able/willing to do anything else.

KA4DPO and W5IEI like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't feel bad if they brought back the Power Mite series. They probably don't have the resources for it either.

W4NNF and KA4DPO like this.
  3. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Semper Paratus.

WD4ELG likes this.
  4. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point. Come to think of it, the entirety of the Omni series were good radios! Cannot think of a dud in that group. :)

WD4IGX, W7UUU, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had an Omni D for a year, it was a good radio, only complaint was the AGC when there was a strong nearby signal on CW. Other than that it was good. I sold it and got an IC-740, which I still have, the 740 was a much better radio all around but the design was two years newer also. Never got too enthusiastic about Ten Tec after the Omni. It wasn't performance, I just thought they were over priced and felt less solid than the Japan radios.

6. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of the parts are obsolete... No way it can be done...

W7UUU and NL7W like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Bring on the death star!

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Years ago I had an Omni-D and loved it. Had a real charm to it, and performed superbly.

3 years ago I bought an Omni-VI and it was a CADILLAC of a radio!! Amazing to use. [died in my recent fire]

In their hey-day, TT made some pretty stellar radios, no question about it

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4IGX and KA4DPO like this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As everyone knows I still think the Ten Tec 229 and 238 tuners are the best full gallon tuners ever made. They have a very wide impedance matching range, will match coax, end fed wires, and balance loads, and, because the are an L network, they have the lowest insertion loss of any tuner I can think of.

Bonus, unlike a T network that can appear to provide a proper match at various L and C settings, the Ten Tec tuner will only provide a match at the correct L/C ratio, and is broad banded as well so you don't have to touch it up as much as some other types.

I wish they still made them, they weren't cheap, even good used ones are pricy, but they are definitely worth it.

NL7W and WD4IGX like this.
  10. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I figure by the time they build another Omni VII,or get anyone to pay that much,it's parts will be obsolete too.

W4NNF likes this.