Ten-Tec

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5XS, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Halfway through and this has become a mine is bigger than yours contest. I’m gone.

WG7X, KA4DPO, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They had a series of direct government contracts for their commercial receivers, one or two decades ago. Most were fairly small but above the small-purchase threshold so that they had to be published. A few earlier contracts were large. The information is public and easy to find.

So what?

IF Ten Tec has unpublished "government contracts" as subcontractor or in the form of pocket-change small purchases, the only way to know for sure is to ask Ten Tec. And since it's not relevant to ham radio, it's not really any of our business, so there's no point in wasting our time or Ten Tec's time over it.

Basically, the "government contract" issue is a proxy for the now 4 year old debate about "Is Ten Tec Still In Business". I'm surprised anyone still cares. But like many, I still read Ten Tec threads for their entertainment value.

KA4DPO likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Without Ron there's not much entertainment value.

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...which reminds me of a clever poem by Willie Nelson. ;)

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of conjecture there...

KA4DPO, W4NNF and (deleted member) like this.
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So I still want to know if they will have a prototype of the death star at Xenia this spring?

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Has to be, since I don't have the facts and never worked there; and didn't bother going back 10 years or more to look at old contracts.:p

The whole discussion started because it was stated by another that T-T would not have had direct government contracts, they'd be a subcontractor and I found that rather presumptive, with no basis in anything at all.:)

8. NN4RH

Yes that is my perspective, too. In my agency in DoD, there was a distinction between "Contracts" and "Procurements". Two different offices handled each of those. I assume the rest of the government was organized similar. In my position, I initiated "purchases/procurements" all the way from a few dollars up to several million dollars; and initiated "contracts" typically in the $100k range and up.

In the simplest terms, a "Purchase" was just that - buying stuff. A "Contract" was arranging for services of some sort.

So when I see people say "government contract", for example in connection with TT, that means something quite different to me than if they were to say "government purchase" or "government sales".

As an end-user, I knew enough details of the process to know how to prepare purchase or contract requests that would go through as quickly and as smoothly as possible, but it was not my job to deal with Small Business Set Asides and all the various regulations.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. NN4RH

The US Coast Guard at the end of July published an RFQ for repair of 10 RX-331 receivers. So at least some of those old radios are still out there in use. The solicitation is listed as "Inactive" and I have found no information about whether a contract was awarded or not, and to whom if it was.

W4HM, NL7W and KA4DPO like this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Maybe

KA4DPO, WS4JM, N1YR and 2 others like this.