Ten-Tec

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5XS, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I'm about as old, but always looked ten years younger than I am.

When I was ten, I looked like an embryo.:(

Actually, the main reason I remain employed at past retirement age is it keeps me pretty young, by virtue of interfacing daily with lots of people younger than I am. They go play volleyball, I go, too. They go play tennis, I go too. I can beat about half of them on the court (but unfortunately, not the other half...).

In the good old days before the virus, we used to go for pizza and beer together on Thursday nights and enjoyed the camaraderie. Well, we don't do that now, but maybe "next year" if this freaking virus gets conquered somehow.

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The stream is cold,,,,,yeah, deep too.

3. KA4DPO

Your the one who's losing, and looking to try and BS your way out of it. Why are you telling me a bunch of stuff I already know? We were talking about really small businesses like the one that owns Ten Tec. You're the one who decided to have an appenage measuring contest over minutia to try and prove something. I have no idea what unless you are just a little short this week. DFAC has a list of approved contractors, your company is not on it.

Selling stuff to the government is not a contract Steve. GSA doesn't contract for paper and pens, they just buy them, same goes for laptops and printers. You guys are nothing special.

Now go back to work, I have leisure activities to pursue.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  4. KA4DPO

So back on topic, I looked at the Ten Tec store page on their web site, it looks as though everything is out of stock. I wonder when the death star will be listed and if they will take preorders?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  5. KA4DPO

Oh you beat the younger crowd?? You do know the difference between meat and fish don you?

6. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Still with this crap in a Ten-Tec thread ???
    Me,Me,Me !!!

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for trying, OM...but get this thread back on topic? I doubt it. :eek:

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

Look up our code 0P9P9. We've fulfilled many direct Fed contracts.

A purchase order from a federal agency is a contract. Every P.O. I've seen has the same terms and conditions as if they were buying missiles -- just goes on for pages and pages and pages, and the ones we receive all have DO or DX contract numbers on them. Would you like me to scan one and post it for you?

They also buy stuff (usually <$5,000 per item) off our web store, without a P.O., just using a government credit card. For those they also specify using their government FedEx account for shipping, and they evidently get a really good discount (I've compared what "they" pay, vs. what we would pay, and their rate is always lower).

We were on GSA for many years but I dumped it last year, as it was actually hurting us: (1) GSA list items are shipped FOB destination if the destination is within the U.S., so we swallow the freight cost. A lot of what we manufacture has high dim weight and losing $200 on freight cost for a $1500 item is not good business; (2) A lot of paperwork! You have to report to them quarterly exactly what you sold via GSA, to whom, and all the costs. "They" should track this, not us, but that's not the way it works. If you don't report, you lose your listing anyway -- so I just let our membership expire. Didn't hurt sales in any way, and actually improved profits.

About 75% of our total sales are to government agencies, including federal, state and local.

9. KA4DPO

Yep 5K is the cutoff for purchases without a formal PO. So? And what doe all of that have to do with the original topic pray tell?

10. WB2WIK

Your original Ten Tec related comments indicated you don't believe they have government contracts, but probably subcontracts.

I commented (although I have no idea what Ten Tec does or doesn't do) it's very possible for small companies to have direct government contracts for complete systems, which led to my discussing that my small company (a lot bigger than Ten Tec, but still SBA "small") gets federal (and other) government contracts for complete products and it's pretty common. Our RQ-4 contracts with Raytheon are third-tier subs, but when we provide products to DoD (like SPAWAR, et al), DoE (all the nuclear labs), DoJ (including FBI and federal courts) and so forth, if they have contract numbers and QAPs and such (as they usually do), they are direct federal government contracts, not subs.

That's really all.

I don't know about Ten Tec and have never even visited them, but I see they have CAGE 55870 and their RX-330 receiver has a NSN, to it's possible they've sold directly to the government.