Ten-Tec

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5XS, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of the new shop equipment he has is for SMD. I doubt he'd want to do traditional through hole. And if the Omni VII used Collins mechanical filters, they are no longer made.

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They did make some good radios, Dave. Actually some great radios. But that was a long time ago and getting longer and this Ten-Tec has little in common with that one. ;)

KA4DPO likes this.
  3. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

If the code is well documented, they won't have to spend nearly as much on the digital side as they did when the Orion, Eagle, and Omni 7 were new.

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten - Tec, the new Polaroid, Packard Bell, Kodak, Radio Shack, you knw the drill.

W9RAC, W4NNF and KA4DPO like this.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose the DSP code is a good start, but if they are really going to build a new radio, it will require some serious software and hardware design. The DSP code is one thing, but the display is an entirely different problem. When you sweep the Omni VII+ display, the receiver is muted during the sweep, and all you get is a snapshot of the band.

A real time display requires an integrated DSP and display processor, or processors. A new radio might also require a new control processor, for the radio controls, and software code for that also. I think people tend to underestimate the cost of a new product, or even the cost of modernizing an existing one. It might be less expensive to design an entirely new radio.