Ten-Tec

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5XS, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am aware this can be a contentious topic, and my intent is not to start “funeral committee” vs “they’re on the way back” rancor.

I would just like to know if anyone has any real insight into the status of Ten-Tec.

I recently had a rig repaired by them and was very happy with the service (and price). But aside from that, I find nothing new in their website’s news section (the last entry is nearly four years old).

Does anyone know anything about where they stand?

No eye rolls, please, and no “Oh good, I’ll get the popcorn” posts please. I’m sincere in asking.

Thanks.

KA8UGB and KA2FIR like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Any such reactions to a Ten Tec post would be more than justified. Ten Tec has an opportunity on their site to keep their followers up to date on their status. They refuse to do so.
    https://www.tentec.com/category/news/

Did I mention I own at least a half dozen TT rigs and many more over the years.

K4AGO, NL7W and KP4SX like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I checked their website a couple of days ago, and it has at least been updated. They are open again, they say...but as for the Omni VII+...it sounds like they hope to produce some next year. Doesn't sound very hopeful to me. :(

The radio was never really produced in any but tiny quantities and the prices of competing rigs like the IC 7610 are now very similar to that of this old technology radio. Now, I'm not saying it might not be a very good radio...but...I wonder if they will get anymore out the door.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    NL7W and KA8UGB like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me add that when I say they've updated their website, I don't mean they've posted anything in "news." The latest post there is from 2017 (!). They have only changed the blurb you get when you click the "buy now" button for the Omni VII. ;)

NL7W, K5XS and K3XR like this.
  5. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

"Did I mention I own at least a half dozen TT rigs and many more over the years."

Me too. Have four right now.

I've been lucky enough to get a TS-990S and an FTdx101MP. My Orion II stays right with both of them in many respects. Ten Tec made good stuff.

K3XR likes this.
  6. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck with that!
    :rolleyes:

NL7W and KP4SX like this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been a T-T fan for a long time, starting with a PM-2 (!) and progressing through the Argonaut 505, Triton, Triton-IV, SCOUT, Omni VI, Jupiter and Orion series. That's 35 years of T-T products. I still have a Jupiter and Orion-II.

But when Al Kahn passed away in 2005, my first thought was "uh-oh."

And the "uh-oh" turned out to be correct.:(

To get back to the original topic, no, I have heard nothing new.

WD4IGX and KA4DPO like this.
  8. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought a Ten-Tec PM2B QRP rig at a hamfest in Ohio in the 1970s. I had a blast with it. Later, I got an Argonaut. Great little rig. Fast forward to the mid-2000s. I wanted a nicer Ten-Tec QRP rig but when I asked the fellows at the Ten-Tec booth at Dayton if they had plans to put an updated version of the Argonaut on the market, they just smiled and wouldn't give me an answer. So I bought something else. A couple years later, they introduced the very kind of QRP rig I had been looking for. Oh well. I toured their factory twice while it was on Dolly Parton Parkway in Sevierville. It has a different location now. Sitting where Ten-Tec proudly stood for decades is now a Walmart Neighborhood Market big box store. What a shame!

9. KA8UGB

KA8UGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

COVID 19 STATUS UPDATE

Effective October 13, 2020 the ON LINE STORE is OPEN for amateur business again!
    https://www.tentec.com/store/

W5ESE, WB3EYB, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

last I heard, the owner said he was building a ham radio death star. Probably have to be direct sampling, just supposing.:)

W4NNF likes this.