Ten Tec- where is it today

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Aug 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Older Omni II is in top 12 receivers per QST reviews. Eagle in top 8. Not tested Omni II+ likely equals or outperforms the Eagle. Not too shabby.

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Late model used Eagle with AT, IF out (pan adapter), NB for $650- nice deal. New Eagle+? Guess at least $1700. Ouch!

3. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

STFU? Scrawny Two-Faced Underling?

4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Ten Tec is still in business the same as Heathkit is in business....

N5PAR, KA4DPO and K4KYV like this.
  5. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose there is no accounting for taste, for personal opinion, or for actual experience. I've owned a gross of different transceivers over the years, both Ten-Tec and from the Japanese big three. My personal impression was that the best of the lot was Ten-Tec. They always built great receivers, and the human-xcvr interface always seemed more logical to me. Of course, that is only a personal opinion, surely others would see it differently. And as it is only a personal opinion, I cannot attribute to it anything even approaching absolute truth.

I hope they come back, and come back strong, and emulate their earlier engineering successes. That would be cool. :)

W0FS and NL7W like this.
  6. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never had a Ten Tec. I wouldn’t mind trying one before I go off to the big hamshack in the sky. Maybe an Iggle Plus if it actually materializes.

7. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Mike, I have not found that to be the case with my 8410 and A2100. The 8410 I have does run the 4cx1500B tubes so not sure what your running. The Alpha will run 1500 with about 25 Watts in, all day, every day 100% duty cycle at 1500. The A2100 is NOT recommended to run even close to that, its rated at 1500 MAX, even then short term. I'm not anti Acom but is just a single tube amp and not near as HD as the alpha, but it was better than 2K less money. I have both and if I did not like the Acom I would not have purchased it but compared to the Alpha its light duty, mine is a few months old also, less than 2 hours on it. Now, we can compare the OM Power to a Alpha. Thanks for the comment, 73 Rich

8. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I noticed that too.

Mike was (IMHO) being cautious. I suspect that he didn’t want to commit to a firm date or time frame, because if he missed it (even if only by a few days) he would get pilloried by the members of the Premature Funeral Committee.

N2EY likes this.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, Charlie.

Ten Tec is actually shipping products. I don’t know what the story is with the “new” Heathkit, but there’re plenty of anecdotal stories indicating that no one can order from, or even contact, the “New” Heathkit.

Sorry, Charlie.

AD0AC likes this.
  10. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple. DX Engineering and HRO gave them a huge order, they filled it, now DXE and HRO are reselling them. Acom doesn't sell amps directly to North American customers. Alpha does, but they aren't going to pay taxes and other carrying costs on thousands of dollars of finished goods when they might sell a couple dozen per year. MFJ doesn't do that either. ETO built hundreds of amps for years for industrial and medical use, amateur radio was a side business. TenTec was much the same. They built industrial and medical equipment in the metal fab, commercial and government radios, and amateur radio was a side business.

NL7W and KA0HCP like this.