Ten Tec- where is it today

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Aug 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And the customers who buy the Ten Tec's are happy to have them.

Lay off the snarkiness, and step back from being one of the 'burial party" doing their best to slander Ten Tec and Mike Dishop. Grrrr.

W1BR and KP4SX like this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem is that there has been a distinct group of amateurs both here on The Zed and particularly on eHam who have made deliberate, concerted and continuous efforts to slander Ten Tec, Mike Dishop and thereby undermine the company, products.

Honest and fair minded member have been fed up with this 'funeral party" who have spread disinformation, lies, and done so much to destroy an operating company.

Those like you who wander into the minefield unaware, should take care about stirring up this mess. b.

W1BR likes this.
  3. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am glad Ten Tec is alive. They made excellent HF gear with very good receivers. Back in the 1980s they out received most Asian HF transceivers and were 'on par' with new Asian gear manufactured today. Shame on those bullies.

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am sure that is what he meant, which begs the question: So what? I bet the Acom 2000A is more aggressive than the Alpha 8410, again, so what?

5. KA4DPO

I wonder how it is that you can Buy an a top of the line Acom amp right off the shelf? I guess they are doing more business and can afford to have enough inventory to keep their customers satisfied.

6. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Free enterprise. J.P. Morgan once said he'd only invest in areas that had no competition.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. KA4DPO

Well, if we ever go back to the 80's I guess they will be great again. On par with Asian rigs today? Not hardly, not in features, function, or performance, sorry but those rose colored glasses just have to come off. I had an Omni back in the 80's and it was OK, but not nearly as good as the Yaesu FT-901DM or the Kenwood TS-850.

In 2008 I was at a field day operation where we were running, among several rigs, an Omni VII and a Pro 3. Out of six very experienced hams, everyone liked the Pro 3 a lot more, it was just a better radio all the way around. The truth is, Ten Tec radios were always pretty good, but never great, they always had annoying nits and noids, and a cheap kitchen appliance feel to them.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    N3AWS and AC3GO like this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My understanding, based on posts to the Ten Tec reflectors and quotes (via 3rd parties) on what Mike said this year at Hamvention (I had to skip it this year, a family trip to Vermont took precedence), is that the updated Eagle, tentatively the Eagle Plus, will be the next rig in the production pipeline. I do not have a timeframe available as to when that will be.

9. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My own A 2100 will easily do legal limit with 50 watts drive.
    It's only 2 months old so the tube is fresh.
    Into a dummy load it will do much more.
    My 8410 would do about 2200 if driven hard enough,but I'd never run anything that hard.

I also have the A-1010,and A-1000.
    They are high quality,and very nice.
    Mike

WA6OSX likes this.
  10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That video from "Dayton" (Xenia) Dishop describes what would be going into the new Eagle and it sounds good. But does not give a time frame; and the interviewer did not ask.