Ten Tec- where is it today

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Aug 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Next Topic:
    "National Company Velvet Verniers Are Not Really Made of Velvet!"

[​IMG]

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now, where did I put that shovel??:oops:

WB8NUT likes this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's two ways to look at it. Objectively, receivers are better than ever. Game over, end of story, zip up your fly. But...at this point the improvements are not detectable by most users....so...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is only true up to a point. I also have older radios that are really very good and don't have any bells or whistles, unless you call crystal calibrators, notch filters, and noise blankers, bells and whistles. I also have some very modern radios that have oodles of operating features, and receiver specs that surpass my old radios.

Not everyone is stuck in the past, and a lot of hams like the new stuff that's out there, which would explain the runaway success of the IC-7300. It also costs less and has a better receiver than any Ten Tec transceiver out there.

The problem with Ten Tec is that they stopped designing radios around 2007, the Eagle was the last rig they put out and it had some design flaws that highlighted the deepening lack of interest in amateur radio on the part of the company.

So 12 years have gone by, and three changes of ownership with nothing new coming out of the twin T outfit. They really need to get serious if they are going to compete as an American company, with the likes of Elecraft and Flex. By the way, the little 7300 is simpler than a cell phone, and I bet you have one of those.:D

WB8NUT likes this.
  5. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

For some reason I thought the Eagle and Argo VI came out around 2010-11, around the same time as the TS-590, as TT’s response to the K3/KX3?

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the Eagle was late 2010. The Argo VI was after that by a year or two as I recall, but it was not around very long as the original TenTec was belly up by that time. I don't think a lot of them were sold. If the Argo was meant as a response to Elecraft, it really missed the mark. Did not have all HF bands and missing 6 meters.

KA4DPO likes this.