ad: wmr-1

Ten Tec- where is it today

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Aug 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

If the FCC ID number is the same, it's the same radio. Chances are he didn't resubmit it for testing and certification if all he did was change the front panel material and a few lines of firmware.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you found a couple dozen 5-10 year old boards and modules in the warehouse what would you do?

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Huh? Why are you arguing. Did you watch the video?

In the video Mike specifically stated "Omni VII Repack". "We went through 20 engineering models and and reduced internal noise from the display".

He never claimed it was a new radio.

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing that I found interesting in the video was the RX-340. These were not only available from RF Concepts, but also from RKR. I am pretty sure that neither company actually built radios. They may have done some final assembly with existing stuff but it seems to me, if you can make chassis and panels for the RX-340, why couldn't you make them for the other rigs as well? Also, if they are so expensive to manufacture, and you are making them on contract, why would you make more than the contracted number and try to sell the excess to the public? Just seems interesting is all.

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[Never mind. Not worth the trouble. Ignore.]

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

588+ OMNI-VII+
    8 Left in Stock

7. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Better hurry before the Christmas rush!

KJ4VTH likes this.
  8. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think since May, that might average out to one sold each month. Cannot stress this enough, the new TenTec is not going to make it selling older technology at premium prices. Need something new, revolutionary and at a popular price point that makes people want to buy the radio.

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And you aren't making any useful comments! ;)

Mike, will do what he has to do, to achieve his goals. Ten Tec is making money with commercial products. They are "making it" just fine, thank you.

AE0Q likes this.
  10. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

I kind of am making useful comments. As a former frequent customer, I am urging Mike to make amateur products that people actually want. I am glad he is making money with some commercial products, but that is not what interests me. If his goal is to stay in the commercial market, that's great. If he wants to return to the amateur radio market with something other than a few radios built with a new cabinet and some leftover boards, it appears that amateurs are a bit underwhelmed based on how fast those Omni 7's are flying off the shelf.

I continue to urge Mike to turn away from updating the old radio designs and start from scratch with something new that will excite the potential customers and turn them into paying customers. Right now this is taking far too long.

There is a lesson in history with Drake. You exit the amateur market and then when you come back years later with something, it's too late. The customers have moved on. In other words, time is of the essence and it just may be too late now.

KA4DPO likes this.