Ten Tec- where is it today

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Aug 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure what a "ownership overlap" is. Every Time I have seen a post or notice of information from Alpha Dishop indicates he's the owner? Overlap in trying to figure out what to do? Im a 3 time Alpha Amp buyer, and that could have been more, which I suspect is a story that has been repeated many times over from the looks of it. At the risk of sounding argumentative a less than warm reception from the new company swayed me to Acom and OM power although I still have a 8410 purchased from the previous Alpha owner who was great to deal with. I have always been a Alpha fan and someday that may be revived again. 73 Rich

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here we go again.

BTW, the reviews are out there. One just has to look. I had one in my club newsletter last month. (And not from a club member)

3. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mike Dishop bought Ten Tec outright through Dishtronix.

At the time Alpha Amps was purchased (and eventually become Alpha RF Systems), the ownership group consisted of Mike and at least two partners. (My source? Mike Dishop himself). If Mike has since bought out the other partners, that has not been disclosed publicly to my knowledge.

Thus the overlap. The two companies have one owner in common — Mike — but not overall ownership.

W1BR, WD4IGX and W9RAC like this.
  4. W9RAC

Yes, the other two are silent (or were then), I know one of them and had the opportunity to invest also at that time but declined. I was concerned about the administrative part of the Company's future. tnx, Rich

5. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

6. W9RAC

That is the page I referred to I'm sorry to say. It's never a good day when a Amateur Radio affiliated business is in dire straits, regardless of my opinion of its employees or owners. Alpha has always been synonymous with quality. Let's wish the Company the best and a long and prosperous future. 73 Rich

W2AI likes this.
  7. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Those Alpha amps are high priced ticket items to stock and remain idle on a shelf, Rich. Most likely, when an order is received by the company and money is exchanged--the amplifier is built--then shipped to the buyer. I know Ameritron is that way with the AL-1500. How many newcomers to amateur radio will get on HF and purchase an Alpha $$$$$$ or an Ameritron AL-1500 $$$$$?? Not too many I would surmise.

W9RAC likes this.
  8. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 3 Acom's and like them very much.
    Mike

W9RAC likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see it has the WARC bands.

10. W9RAC

Yep, that's correct Dan. Every Alpha I have purchased has been built to order. What concerned me was the generic "out of stock" which was not there a year ago. Id rather see a "built to order" or the like to entice potential buyers to follow up. Regarding your comment about the new HF potential purchasers, I agree entirely. This is why I was concerned, with such a narrow market level of new high dollar purchasers and several choices for them it is so important to retain your loyal customers, not alienate them. tnx, Rich

W2AI likes this.