Ten Tec Omni V XTAL Osc alignment procedure

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA2JHS, Jun 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA2JHS

WA2JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all...does anyone know or have the alignment procedure for the xtal osc-lo mixer assembly in the omni V??? The manual describes the operation of the assembly but doesn't go into specifics on how to align it...
    Thanks and 73

Bill
    Wa2jhs

2. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have the N4PY chip installed, the LO can be "pulled" via front panel buttons. I think he has a new batch of chips available again.

Ed WA4NJy
    wa4njy@yahoo.com

3. WA2JHS

Hey Thanks Ed....I just checked and he's sold out already..HI....I'm going to see when the next batch is done....in the meantime, there has to be a way to adjust all the LO, I see there are variable caps and I assume it needs to be adjusted for the crystal frequency....73
    Bil
    Wa2jhs

4. WA4NJY

Is the display off? Expect some warm-up drift. My OMNI V drifts some on two bands and none on others. 17 meters was the worst until I "pulled" the crystal wide a few times. Now 17 is showing almost no drift. Tweaking the small trimmers always scares me. Have had several go bad.
    I really enjoy using my OMNI V. Have you had yours for long?

Ed

5. WA2JHS

Sorry it took so long to answer you Ed.....The display is off by 10khz or so on most all the bands and yes...it does drift a little until warm...I would like to get it a little closer and not too worried about messing with the trimmers..Hi....I have the corsair II and an Omni D (B) version and like them alot...haven't had the V very long, only about a month, and have been fixing a few things with it (I purchased knowing it might have some).....just put in 2.8KHZ filters in the 6.3 and 9 MHZ I.F.'s and that is a nice upgrade...overall I like it alot, although I like the corsair II receiver a little bit better....

Bill
    wa2jhs

6. WA4NJY

Bill,
    10khz may be more than can be corrected by pulling the crystals. Ok on the older rigs. My first serious TT was an OMNI C. The receiver opened my eyes as to what a receiver should be. At that time I could not use 40 meters when the foreign BC stations were strong while using ICOM 746.
    Using the OMNI C, I could copy good CW fairly close to the BC stations.

If you decide to have a tech look at your OMNI V, I can recommend one here in Florida.

73, Ed

7. WA2JHS

Ed....sorry I didn’t notice the k in front of the HZ. It should have been 10 to 15 hz Hi

8. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10 to 15 Hz can be an offset in either the master oscillator, which can be replaced with a low drift TCXO, or it can be offset in the USB, LSB, CW or FSK oscillators which are combo of crystals and switched in trim caps for each mode. Best bet is to align the master reference oscillator with an accurate counter (eg GPS disciplined) and then align the individual carrier oscillators for each mode as described in the manual.

Using just WWV zero beat with the Omni V or VI and you’ll be dealing with the cumulative errors of both oscillators which can leave you chasing your tail in terms of which one to adjust when you’re trying to get down below 10 Hz display error.