ad: vanity

Ten Tec Omni V sometimes receive Garbled

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by N9CM, Oct 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K1ZJH

K1ZJH Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N9CM

N9CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure where the "VFO" is as the main dail only goes to a rotary encoder and from there..unknown. No service manual. Likely an easy fix with the right tools since all discretes and no SMD. Can't speak to bands. Had it on 20 and or 40 and did it there...after 15 minutes or so, seems to go away...

3. N2OTG

N2OTG Ham Member QRZ Page

For what it’s worth, the Paragon, with which the Omni V bears a strong family resemblance, does something similar. Mine will make garbled audio on 40 meters and is garbled on transmit as well. The problem is said to be poor soldering one of the PLL boards. I haven’t tried to fix it yet, so I can’t say for certain. The condition goes away after the rig warms up for half an hour or so. I’m told that, after the rig warms up, the wires passing through the board expand and make better contact.

Maybe something like this is going on with your Omni?

4. N9CM

N9CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I sent mine to Clarmont since teh seller, K5KQK wouldn't stand up to assisting in any way, and of course, Clarmont left it one and assumed it was "fixed" becuase they cleaned some connectors. Once back home, powered it back up and still doing it, and as before, once one for say 15 minutes or so, seems to be okay. I am thinking the same thing, a bad solder joint on the AF/IF Board or weak/failing cap that just hasn't gone out yet to be found. Sure is frustrating...not sure what this "bad" cap may exhibit when working correctly so you can find it. Can't speak to transmit audio sincei can't understand the receive audio to give it a try, but sometimes cycling the power on/off will clear it up (momentarily) only to return yet again within the first 15-20 minutes. What PLL board number did you look at or did you never address a remedy?

5. N9CM

N9CM Ham Member QRZ Page

What a tech told me which makes sense to me:
    The fact that the problem goes away after the radio is on for a little while is easily explained. As the radio warms up the frequency of the oscillators will change. When you first turn the radio on the oscillators are way off, but will drift to the point where the audio will stop being distorted. The oscillators are still off frequency, but the audio seems OK. That’s why you have to allow for at least a half hour of warm-up time before any alignment is done.

6. K1ZJH

K1ZJH Ham Member QRZ Page

The hetrodyne crystals are phase locked. If the PLL does not have enough range to achieve lock the control voltage will sweep causing a warbling sound on stations. Been through this with my three Omni VI rigs. Paragon was a different problem.

K8AI likes this.