Ten Tec Century 21 or other Vintage CW Transceivers

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KI4ODO, Apr 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

I second the OCFD as a good antenna for the C21 or any older rig without a tuner. It's nice to have a no-tune antenna that covers so many bands.

I re-worked my original home-brew 40m Carolina Windom into a more traditional 80m 1/3 OCF Dipole a little over a year ago and it's been great to use with my TenTec Century/21. I do have a decent RF choke on the incoming coax to ward off common-mode problems and it works great for me on all the bands I want except 30m. I'm getting better results from the 80m OCFD on its resonant bands than I did from the Carolina Windom.

2. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a similar choke on the feed line, seems to work quite well. The antenna is usable on 30m with a tuner, and I have had fun there with it, but it's not designed for that band of course. One bonus for this one is that it really shines on 17m which I have grown to love.

3. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

AA4OO likes this.
  4. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If Ten Tec was still making these rigs, I'd buy three of 'em.

5. K4RT

K4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

KI4ODO, congratulations on finding a Century 21. That's a very nice looking rig.

I bought an analog Century 21 as a Novice in the late 70s and still use it. Considering its power output, excellent QSK, and other features, it makes a nice transceiver for the CW lover. The nature of the side-tone has never bothered me. In regard to CW filters, I believe the front-panel selectable filters were standard.