ad: SMHam-1

Ten Tec Century 21 or other Vintage CW Transceivers

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KI4ODO, Apr 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello all. I was looking at some pages this week and came across AA4OO's page and checked out his Ten Tec Century 21 CW rig. Then I went to YouTube and started checking out videos on it, features, how it works, and so on. I think I'm sold on the idea of trying to get my hands on one of these later when funds are available.

This is the first time I have been bitten by the vintage CW rig bug. I have not really explored what else may be floating around out there that is similar to this Ten Tec. Do any of you have any suggestions on ones to research and find out more about? I'm in no huge hurry to buy one, I just want to start getting and idea of different models that may be something of decent quality that I could add to my shack later if I run across one. Thanks for any input.

I'll add,,,,and admit,,,that I am not much of a repair capable ham. I'd really be looking to run across something in good working condition that I could hook up and operate.

2. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

If its the analog version readout make sure it has the vfo issue of slippage addressed. Big problem with those.
    There was a kit fix offered years ago. There is a digital readout vfo available. I would look for one of those.
    Great radio. I had one that had the vfo issue fixed. Built in power supply is nice.

KI4ODO likes this.
  3. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask about filters and then ask about filters again. You need one. 500 hz is good.

N2EY likes this.
  4. KI4ODO

I will do that thank you. I'm going to talk to some other ops who have or have had these and other rigs of it's type locally as well. Kind of get the ends and outs of vintage gear. Plus I have not been to a ham fest since getting back on the air a few months ago, that will be a good place to look around and maybe buy from someone I know and trust.

5. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KI4ODO

Richard, your page is the one that got me interested in this rig. I did not have the "buy something else" urge till I looked at your Century 21,,,,thanks a lot :D

7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fun Fun Fun little rigs !!! I've had two of the analog ones. I finally now have the Century-21D (digital). If you can find one, the Century-22 is a fine CW rig. (it also covers 30 meters & has adjustable side-tone) :)

Steve / W5BIB
    SKCC #7327

8. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

ahoy
    had one
    was third owner had it for 12 years

mine looked like it had been in a war
    but it still kept running

as noted the dial drive PTO prob
    that is a easy fix

my only gripe was did not like the side tone
    that can be changed
    lots of room inside

want a older rig to run CW
    you really can't miss with a Century 21 or 22
    ( or any of the older TenTec rigs such as the Triton and the Omni A/D )

dit dit
    mac

N7BDY likes this.
  9. N2ICZ

N2ICZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A fine vintage rig. Had one and sold it. Kicking myself in the gluteus maximus ever since.

10. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

I acquired a Century 21 as a Novice in 1977; great radio.

But prior to that I briefly used a borrowed Heathkit HW-16 -- similar concept, but crystal-controlled transmit, so requires the companion HG-10 VFO for frequency-agile "transceive" operation.
    See: http://wd8rif.com/hw16.htm

Other options, of course, include QRP rigs such as Heathkit HW-7, HW-8 and HW-9.