ad: AlphaRF-1

Ten-Tec Centurion 20 meters not working

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K5RWD, Aug 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5RWD

K5RWD Ham Member QRZ Page

So, I was tuning up this wonder Ten-Tec Centurion on 20 meters (yes into a dummy load) with about 40+ watts of drive on 20 meters and I smelt something burning and backed of and brought the drive down. It appears something burned out in the 20 meter circuit in the amplifier, now it won't produce more than 50 watts. All of the other bands have full output power and no problems. My first suspicion was the filter board for 20 meters may be defunct, are relay or something. I checked the filter board no problems. Then I moved down to look at the band switch, and I notice some residual items that had fallen down apparently from something burned.

I also noticed (using an ohm meter) that there is now nothing connected to the 20 meter tab on the bandswitch but some melted solder, and I have no idea what was connected there. The only thing I see is that it may have been bridged across to the next 40 meter tab.

Anyone with any experience with Ten-Tec Centurion?

Regards,

2. K7RJB

K7RJB Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K7RJB

K7RJB Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K5RWD

Well it turns out that one of the tubes is not lighting up. I replaced it with a known good tube and it still is not lighting up. Looks like that tube socket is not getting power to the tube. : (

5. K5RWD

Problem resolved. The issue was the previous operator had both the transformer and filament board jumpered improperly. It's all good now.

Thanks for the responses.

W1TRY likes this.