ad: k1jek

Ten Tec Centaur model 411 info required.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KF6ODC, Oct 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF6ODC

KF6ODC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I have a Ten Tec Centaur 411 HF Linear Amplifier. I will be using a hand trigger to activate the amp. I just need to know please where it should plug into the back of the amp. I'm a little sceptic. The back of the amp is a key in female connector, Key out connector, PTT/Vox female connector, I'm guessing PTT/Vox is where it goes. Please can you gentleman's please assist me. Thank you all and God Bless.. 2019-10-19 11.28.13.jpg

2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes the PTT RCA female connector

KF6ODC likes this.
  3. KF6ODC

Thank you Kindly. Sincery appreciate the info. Best regards..Sincerely John..

4. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

No problem. Just key the amp a moment before keying the transceiver. Also don't over-drive it. It tends to blow fuses when you do

KF6ODC likes this.
  5. KF6ODC

I'm glad you mentioned to key the amp momentarily then key the mic. I thought the other way around. when finished talking should I unkey foot pedal 1st then radio??

6. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes but let me offer a suggestion. For years I have used the Heil FS-2 footswitch. It has two outputs, one for the radio and one for the amp. The way it works it keys the amp milliseconds before it keys the radio. I have (and still do) used the FS-2 with many different radio/amp combinations. You do not want RF going to the amp input before the amp itself keys.

7. KF6ODC

How about when I'm done talking should I unkey the radio 1st then the foot pedal that keys the amp up? Thank you for this knowledge. I have a special keyer coming soon. This foot pedal is just temporary.

8. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

AT the end of an SSB transmission when you stop talking you can drop either one at any time it really makes no difference. Like mentioned always start the amp first and then the radio when transmitting. Remember though SSB has no power output when not speaking so that is why it makes no difference when you go into receive. For example it would matter if you were running AM because on AM you still have a carrier going out when you are not speaking so on AM or FM you would always turn the radio into RX and then the amp last.

KF6ODC likes this.
  9. KF6ODC

That makes very good sense. Thank you so much for being the one to walk me through this process. I will carry this knowledge with me always to pass on if anyone should ask as I did..

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The idea of using a footswitch that isn't time-sequenced to your transmitter is always a bad idea for this, even on SSB.

If you release the switch while you are coughing, or have background noise modulating your transmitter, or really anything at all creating output power, that's a really bad thing.

Heil makes and sells a dual-switch footswitch for this that's probably pretty safe: One set of contacts keys the amp, the other set keys the transmitter, in the right sequence, and unkeys them in the correct reverse sequence.

KF6ODC likes this.