SOLD Ten Tec Argonaut 505

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by WN1MB, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten Tec Argonaut 505 - the original Argonaut

First, cosmetically it's a solid 8 out of 10. Normal wear for its age with no big dings or scratches.

Though I'm neither a collector nor historian, the serial number is 00036, which may mean it's the 36th off the assembly line. If that's the case, this would be a collector's item.

I've made hundreds on contacts on 40, 20, and 15 meters with it. See "known issues" re: 80 and 10.

Though this radio helped usher me back into active hamming after a spell of being away and has served me well, it's time to move along.

And this radio would be better off with a real Ten Tec aficionado.

argo1.jpg

argo2.jpg

Bought this off eBay in 2012. Sadly, the seller's claim "works as it should" was not entirely true. I won't follow suit - nobody likes those kind of surprises - so I'll list all issues of which I'm aware.

Known issues:

Previous owner(s) went diddle stick crazy. I've done some peaking of the receiver and transmitter within the equipment limitations here, but it needs a real alignment. See item 1 below.

The sensitivity control for the SWR function had been removed and replaced with a rotary switch. The switch controls an internally installed audio filter board, which works rather well. I don't recall whether it's a Ten Tec or MFJ filter.

The meter lamp circuit has been replaced with LED back lighting of the meter and two /somewhat/ sufficient LED's for the tuning dial. Never got around to trying different LED's for the dial.

The dial string needs to be replaced. I'd suggest going 100% old school with strictly a dial string/spring combo - and forego the lame "stretchy" single-ended system Ten Tec used. The dial slips a bit - don't know if it's string, clutch, or PTO related.

Receiver seems deaf on 80 meters, though it may simply be alignment related. On 10 meters, it hears, but I never really gave it a good shake down on that band.

No printed manual. PDF's are available on line. I have one and would be happy to send via email.
    Reasons for selling:

1) To really properly address a full alignment, I'd have to purchase some test equipment that I'd prefer not to invest in at this time - ie: frequency counter and scope.

2) The SSB portion of the transceiver is a total waste to me. I don't own a microphone nor do I care to. I "do voice" on the telephone. On the radio, I use CW.

3) I've changed allegiance to Heathkit - specifically HW-8's, plural. They're CW only, I'm more familiar with them, and I prefer older Heathkit equipment over older Ten Tec gear.

Price: $150 plus shipping - USPS money order or cash only. All I want is to break even on this radio. Willing to meet 1/2 way for local pick up, within reason.

Please respond to my QRZ.com page email address. Thanks!

KA8UGB and N1CVX like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

This item has been SOLD. Thanks for all the interest!

72/73,

Jeff, WN1MB
    Winsted CT

3. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read our Swapmeet Safety Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling safety rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Our moderators review every post in this forum and will flag or delete those that do not conform.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.