ad: Radclub22-1

Temporary car installation - power options

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KK6DCT, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0DZW

W0DZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been operating my Yaesu FT-8800 in all of my vehicles for the last 6 years without any problem. I mounted the radio to a piece of plywood just larger than the radio. I use a duel band mag mount antenna. My power has been using a power outlet in the vehicle. No problems ever occured. Even when running full 50 watt power, no problems. Always good signal reports. Meets my needs to a T. Easily moved to any vehicle and always works. Good luck and '73.

TE=KK6DCT;3113364]I mainly work HF at home, but have been toying with the idea of putting a 2m/440 radio in my car for occasional mobile use. My hesitation right now is that I don't expect that I'll use it that often to go to the lengths of getting a power cable from my battery through the firewall into my car interior, and I'm not that keen on having a radio screwed onto or under my dash either. I guess what I'm looking for are some temporary options because I don't want the radio to be a permanent installation in my car.

What are some options I could look into? I have a couple of HTs, so I guess I could run one of these powered from the 12v accessory outlet and an antenna with a mag mount? Any other ideas?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

2. KK6RBI

KK6RBI Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KJ6OJL

KJ6OJL Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t know after talking to KB0G on here, and visiting this page he has. http://www.k0bg.com/wiring.html I just can’t help when reading using the existing outlet this car. Separate run Isn’t hard on most I think for power. Better safe than sorry my thought.. 6 Years a good run, but what if….
    wirefire.jpg

[/QUOTE]

4. KJ6OJL

KJ6OJL Ham Member QRZ Page

How well would that work with Deteriorated beyond belief clear coat. so there isn’t a slick glossy surface anymore?
    Have you tried it on various paints and paint conditions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.