Telegraph Key Morse Key CW Key Ham Radio Key from China

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KW1L, Jan 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KW1L

KW1L Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Saw it too.... Looks nice, but.... Would also like some reviews.

3. NW6V

NW6V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I ordered one specifically to review - it has been shipped. A long-handled pump at that price could be nice if well implemented. I'll let you know.

W1BR and KI4ZUQ like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KW1L

KW1L Ham Member QRZ Page

I notice that there are eight Ebay sellers that offered the key I mentioned at the same price and at the same location in Shenzhen, China.
    Can anyone explain this to me.

NW6V please post your experience .

Thanks Paul

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  6. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a small manufacturer making good-looking but perhaps not functioning well, renditions
    of an Amplidan pump key. In Shenzhen you can probably buy one for $25.

There are at least seven parties in China who have experience in selling stuff via ebay.

Many ops, myself included, like the damped feel of a pump key. It will be interesting to see
    whether this good-looking, relatively inexpensive key delivers the pump key experience.

7. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Please let us know what you think. I like to looks of it. It reminds me of the SKCC key that was made by LNR Precision a few years ago. IIRC, that key sold for about $250...

8. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a strong disinclination to purchase anything electronic or mechanical manufactured in the P.R.C. for all kinds of reasons, of which I will
    spare you.

Factually, I will note that everything from that vast land is plated where it shouldn't be to make it look good, and not plated where it should be. If you
    zoom-in on the copper contact strap to one of the 'hot' circuit terminations, it certainly does not look like workmanlike construction to me.

A very recent offering is available from Surplus Sales of Nebraska, one of my favorite suppliers.

They have brand-new in-the-box Nye Viking conventional straight key, with cord and PL-55, for $59. Stock Nr. (EQP) NYE-310-001.
    You can go to alphabetical tab at top of home page for "T"--Telegraph keys- for photo and details.
    Long-standing policy is free shipping for orders $100 or more. Get some tubes, caps, resistors, what have you.

I have no financial interest whatsoever with this company. Waiting on a $110 order for components I placed a few days ago.

Nye Viking is first-class professional grade.

PU2OZT, N3NEI and K1LKP like this.
  9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nye Viking Master Key - 330-001

I used this very same key at WLO Marine Radio as a commercial Morse Operator 1989-95 - 8 hours per-day, 5 days per-week for 7 years & now for 26 years on the ham bands. It has never been taken apart & continues to operate as it did when it was brand-new.

[​IMG]

After many many years of trouble-free operating, I recently found, and purchased, another one (just in case) for $65.00.
    I use it daily & must say that after 60 years as a 'CW only' operator that... this is the BEST feeling straight-key that I've ever used. JMHO YMMV ;)

I think I paid $115.00 for it back in 1988. It's a shame that NYE no longer makes 'em. :(

If you've worked/work me on-the-air,... this is the key I use (up to 23-25 wpm). Above that, it's a Vibroplex Presentation.

I used a Chinese Military K-4 for a while from my motorhome, but, always went back to the NYE. - The K-4 was O.K. if adjusted properly, but, the NYE is just unbelievably smooth & makes beautiful 'Morse music' !! :D

dit dit

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    VK2HTW, KD2RDG, WA1GXC and 3 others like this.
  10. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HARRY,

THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP ON SURPLUS SALES OF NEBRASKA............BRAVO ......

73 ES HNY

PU2OZT likes this.