ad: Momobeam-1

Technician's Class added bands? Any updates?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AA3GL, Aug 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. AA3GL

AA3GL Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There has been no change in Technician class privileges.
    See: http://www.arrl.org/graphical-frequency-allocations

As for an "update" -- such as it is -- there is this from the minutes of the June 8th meeting of the ARRL Board of Directors Executive Committee:

Mr. Siddall reported that he had, at the request of the Executive Committee, contacted FCC Chairwoman Rosenworcel’s office to respectfully express the ARRL’s frustration at the failure of the FCC to resolve Amateur Radio related proceedings, some of which have been languishing at the FCC for as long as eight (8) years and to urge the FCC to move forward on the resolution of the long overdue issues that are pending in the Wireless Bureau. These include...

RM-11828 (Enhancing Technician Class Privileges) would, among other proposals, allow the
    entering (technician) class licensee to engage in and learn digital and voice communication on
    limited portions of the HF bands below 10 meters. Petition filed by ARRL on February 28, 2018, assigned RM-11828, comments received, and remains pending.

See:
    https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/June-EC-Minutes-Final.pdf

In other words -- the FCC is "sitting" on it and --IMHO-- is unlikely to act on it --let alone approve it-- any time soon.
    ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    1 person likes this.
  3. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

If there were changes coming to the Technician's Class license coming, it would be all over the internet and YouTube...

There is nothing on the horizon that we know about.

WA9SVD likes this.
  4. KI4MYD

KI4MYD Ham Member QRZ Page

Technicians don’t need more spectrum on HF.

Literally just study the material and take a test. How much easier can it be?

AA3GL, WW2E, K8BZ and 8 others like this.
  5. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah. You earn the privileges by demonstrating you've gained the knowledge needed to better exercise them. That's the theory anyway. Judging by the things I see floating around on these forums and the internet, plenty of licensees haven't.

W0FS and WG8Z like this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

The internet isn't ham radio either, arbiters of truth, just us and the Zed way.

W0FS likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Techs can already get free added HF bands and privileges.

KA4DPO, K8BZ, K0IDT and 2 others like this.
  8. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I've done every time I wanted more spectrum privileges. It wasn't much of a hardship.

AA3GL and (deleted member) like this.
  9. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe lots of HF open in CW areas. I QSO with Techs all the time there. 73 Rich

KA4DPO and (deleted member) like this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

After looking at the Volunteer monitor report for July, apparently a few Technicians decided to work out of the band anyway.

KA4DPO, W9RAC, K8BZ and 1 other person like this.