Technician 10 meter sked?

Discussion in 'SKED - QSO Scheduling' started by KB3SVB, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA7NXI

WA7NXI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not a tech, but I will be listening in on 28.4 and if I hear anything I will put out my call. Been waiting for 5 years for this to start opening up.

2. W3BNY

W3BNY Ham Member QRZ Page

That was fun!

Seems the old bunlet favored South today. Many contacts from

• GA
    • AL
    • SC

To those whose call-signs I butchered, Gomen-Nasai OM... I normally have a scribbilty pad in-front of me but kinda hard to do driving. :eek: Otherwise, until I shake this sinus infection, I will be taking the truck so I will probably be doing the 28.4 (or 28.5 depending on the band) to see who is around.

CYA all tomorrow!

3. KB2CRK

KB2CRK Ham Member QRZ Page

from my point of veiw things favored the north.

made contacts with ny and ct.

4. KJ4FQJ

KJ4FQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw mentioned in the latest QST that there's an iPhone app out there to help with identifying beacons for those who are learning CW. If you've got an iPhone, you can get an app called HF Beacons. The free version will only show 10m beacons. The app gets the current time from the cell network and determines which beacon is transmitting at that exact time. It'll then show you the call letters of the beacon and it's location on this planet. good luck to you!

5. KE7VUX

KE7VUX Ham Member QRZ Page

South and East from here in Montana last night.

Alberta, Canada along with California, Nevada, Oklahoma. IIRC I heard some Florida stations, too but didn't work 'em.

6. KC9OVT

KC9OVT Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a small group of us here in the Chicago area that gets together for a 'rag chew' session every Sunday morning between 10:00 and 11:00 AM Central Time. To accommodate Technician class, we meet on 28.420 USB. It's probably a long shot, but if you hear us feel free to jump in.

Congrat's and good luck.
    Hope to hear from you.
    Ed

7. KC0AAB

KC0AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

KB3SVB, Have you been able to make a Contact yet? Ten Mtrs. is active more than alot of people think it is, just leave your rig parked on 28.400 USB and be sure you have the squelch open(hearing hiss, white noise).

Another tip which works pretty well, Do you have access to a CB radio? or can your rig monitor 27.025 ? I don't condone illegal ops but that is not what this is about, The CB'rs seem to like to play on channel 6(27.025AM) they call it the "superbowl" for some reason. Anyway, if you can hear activity on 27.025(CB Ch.6) the chances are good that you will get activity on 10mtrs also, CB skip is about the quickest and simpliest way to see if the band is up. You won't know where to unless they say, which they do sometimes cuz they like to have everyone hear that illegal amp a million miles away, DO NOT TRANSMIT on your HF rig or any transmitter not type certified for such!!!!!
    You are just there to listen and see if the band is up.

When it is, get on 28.400MHz and throw out your call then listen listen listen scoot around the band and listen some more, Be diligent and you will get a contact in no time.

Our local club has a 10 Mtr. Net Tuesday nights 7pm central time year round on 28.410 it is called the Shotgun Net for obvious reason, listen up we will usually be on the air 1 hr. or so check-in we like visitors.

Keep at it, Good luck and hope to meet you on the air

8. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

i was hanging around 28.315 - 320 most of the after noon today not 1 dang contact.

copy'ed alot of cw beacons tho.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a good general purpose antenna for the lower bands but on 10 M you need a fairly low take off-angle. Both for local work when the band is dead and for long haul when the band opens up.
    Those $39 Antron antennas are very popular on 10M, fairly cheap and they work. I hear good signals from the southern states from hams using them.
    Should not break your budget.
    If you find one, get it up high, maybe on the roof and I will look for you on 10M !

10. KI4QFL

KI4QFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Antron 99 Ant and it was kind of hit or miss for me. I now have a Cushcraft AR-10 ant, and that is doing wonder for me, when the band opens up.

KI4QFL / AG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.