Technician 10 meter sked?

Discussion in 'SKED - QSO Scheduling' started by KB3SVB, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

I know some will disagree with this but, memorize the answers, take the test. There is always time for more in depth learning once you pass the exam(s). I have learned a great deal with many hams now that I am an Extra and enjoying life on HF. But if I had to KNOW the material for the General and Extra I would probably still be trying to pass the Extra. I don't think it makes me any less of an operator.

As for CW (Morse code), you could look into the computer programs, like CW Get and CW Type, this is all code sent by a computer. I use MRP40 to help receive and I use my logbook program AC Log 3 to send macros which I use during contests since all the responses are the same information. This is just another way to learn CW and get using it. Of course there is something about using your brain to decode the dits and dahs and a key to send. You can find all sorts of info on QRZ about that.

IC718 was my first rig, loved it! It was a real workhorse for the digital modes when I got started too. Good luck!

2. KI4QFL

KI4QFL Ham Member QRZ Page

You can also try some on the echolink, if you dont have 2 meter rig for now. Echolink can be alot of fun.

3. KB3SVB

KB3SVB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been looking at that and have now I have an account, but how do I listen and "scan around the dial" on echolink?

4. KC5FM

KC5FM Ham Member QRZ Page

10 meter openings

Contrary to what you've been told, 10 meters is open more than people may think.

Just this weekend, I was working 3, 8, and 9 land stations on 29.6 FM. Monday, I worked CO. All of these contacts were mobile from OK.

Look at this resource. I have compiled a number of 10-meter resources. Unlike what some have said, the band is always open, somewhere. :)

Especially pay attention to Nets, many of them in the portion of the band you have privileges.

There's plenty of opportunities for 10 meters to be open. From Tropo to Sporadic E, etc., the band really IS a great band with a lot of resources to support the openings.

It may be open around the corner, but it's still open. :)

5. W6ANF

W6ANF Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's an easy way for you to tell what luck you might have calling CQ on 10m. Spin down between 28.200 and 28.300 CW and listen for the beacons. Some of them will be a solid tone for a few seconds, then ID their call in CW.

Don't know CW? Not to worry. If you do know it, you can get the call of the beacon and look up where it is, then you know you have an opening to that area. If you don't know CW, at least you can get a general idea. Hear a bunch of beacons? Good propogation. Hear only one or none? Little or no propogation.

Don't worry about being slow as you learn CW. There are a lot of us out here who have been licensed for many years, but are just now trying to get up to speed on CW and would be more than happy to have a slowwww CW QSO with you!

Congrats on your license and have fun!

Rick W6ANF

6. W3UC

W3UC Ham Member QRZ Page

You might want too turn your radio on today :)

7. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in NEKY 10 has been opening up to TX,OK,FL during the day and several New England states in the evening. There is a group in NEKY that monitor 28.400 most of the time so that they can help new techs in making their first contact.

Be listening for some of the following call signs on 28.400 and give them a call.

AA4ZU David in Flatwoods, Ky
    W8WXW Mark in Wheelersburg, Oh
    KJ4KNM Bobby in Greenup, Ky
    KJ4KNL Ernie in Flatwoods, Ky
    K4QYK Roger in Greenup, Ky
    KB8VCT Eddie in Franklin Furnace, Oh

plus a bunch more. There is about 20 total in the group.

The local Beacon here is on 28.295 with the call K4IT.

73 and I'll QSO with you anytime

Tim Wright KD4OVM
    Greenup, Ky

8. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

e-skip has been pretty good the last few days; stations as far down as Florida have been hitting our NYC 10m repeaters direct in the evenings.

9. W3BNY

W3BNY Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh...I have the Bunlet today so I may give 28.4 a try after work today just to see who I can "hit" from here in Maryland.

10. KB2CRK

KB2CRK Ham Member QRZ Page

i may just try 28.4 on the way to work today between 3 and 5 from the mobile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.