ad: portazero-1

TECH: full documentary of history of TRANSISTOR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Jan 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, we all know that. Yes, we all know how many of Ford's propaganda ploys were used in Nazi Germany. We all know 6 million died; we even have relatives who perished. Yes. Now let's get back to the subject.

The point is that this is NOT about Henry Ford. Its about Shockley--in part.

IMO the more you find out about the man (Shockley) the less there is to like.

Chip W1YW

2. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So you ended up watching it after all?

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw it many years ago when it came out. This is not 'news'

Chip
    W1YW

4. K6YBH

K6YBH Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1968, had pleasure of meeting with Dr. Bob Noyce while at Coherent Radiation Inc. ( now Coherent Inc) working under Dr. Stephen Jarrett in Applied Physic Lab. We set up a holographic system to transfer IC circuits through space to expose photo resist on silicon wafers utilizing a high power pulsed laser at different wavelengths of light energy. The fact Dr. Noyce paid us a visit substantiates statements made in this documentary, which I enjoyed very much.

Charles
    K6YBH

5. KI8JY

KI8JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video, very interesting.

6. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Everybody is "DEEP DOWN" a racist at one level or another guys, so LET'S ALL BE HONEST ABOUT THAT!!! But Shockley and his fellow-engineers DID ALL HUMANITY A FAVOR by developing the "TRANSISTOR"!!! And look what TRANSPIRED AFTER THAT!!! Please NO MORE P.C just the facts on what that small-wonderous device EVOLVED INTO for ALL what ever your mental persuasion!!!

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's be honest: I am not a racist. I am a 'make America great again' guy, and I am hardly P.C.

8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the same camp. Regarding being PC you would have had to have been there listening to Dr Shockley in his new found science of racism.
    His colleagues and family abandoned him due to beliefs. It was a sad thing to watch one who accomplished much in one arena fail so miserably in another. Let's not lose site of that. Yes it is part of the human condition...but something we should all be conscious of and strive to do better at.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Respecting the talents of others is key to forwarding the human condition:)

Enjoy the day my friend!:)

[​IMG]

10. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AGAIN GUYS!!! IT'S P.C that has divided our NATION!!! OBAMA is GONE!!! That's how the PROCESS WORKS !!! IT'S NOW ONE DIFFERENT IDEAOLOGY TO HOPEFULLY HEAL "OUR NATION!!!"

NN2X likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sir...I am NOT 'politically correct'.

I stand for being...'correct'.

That means striving to be honest with the facts for the benefit of all.

There is no honesty in eugenics.

NN2X likes this.
  12. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

Great vid had not seen this before. Tnx es 73! Vito A. Manzo WA6AM

13. NK4K

NK4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a thought: if you REALLY want to protest the character of the man, let me suggest you pluck-out ALL the transistors from ALL your electronics, including your Core Duo and iPad.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be a profound disservice to all the other inventors who brought forth the transistor.

Really: what a silly idea.

WD0BCT likes this.
  15. NK4K

NK4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your reply. You have expressed eloquently how some of us view many of the comments herein: "silly."

Stay away from my transistors! (more silly -- ha)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    W1YW likes this.