Teaching my 6yo

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KE5ETX, Aug 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KE5ETX

KE5ETX Ham Member QRZ Page

My 6 yo daughter has been wanting to learn "radio." She has talked to a few people on my radio with me present. She LOVES listening to our local nets.

I've eased her in and been working on ways to teach her the complex "agenda" of the tech license.

After spending some time talking about the metric prefixes; and using her brother as a unit.... (gige-borthers, mega- brothers, kilo-brothers, milli-brothers, etc) we decided the world could only handle a brother as a single. lol

Then she asked for my white board to draw a picture! DO NOT FORCE IT!

If anyone has any thoughts on teaching very young kids, who show gret interest, what is needed to get licensed... PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Hope everyone has a great week!

John

Attached Files:

MI0YLT likes this.
  2. KB0HVB

KB0HVB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Teaching them what is needed to get licensed is easy... have them memorize all the correct answers. :p

Seriously though, ask her what she likes about talking on the radio... and start there. My guess is that she likes the idea that she can use the radio to talk to someone else. Give her visuals - show her two separated radios and then make a contact. Use a Slinky to show how the invisible radio waves move from antenna to antenna. And basic principles of modulating a signal. I'd probably describe AM and CW first (even though the HTs use FM... she can learn that later). That's where I'd start.

Edit: Oh, and I'd let her set the pace.

MI0YLT likes this.
  3. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

You might consider getting strategic in preparing her for the exam if some of the math is still over her head at this time (while still continuing to help her learn). She does not have to successfully answer 100% of the questions, so if some portions of the test are over her head at the moment then consider focussing on those areas that she can more easily understand at this point in time, knowing that she can afford to miss, for example, some of the math questions. Then, after she has learned the other topics some months from now she may finally be ready to understand some of the topics she was originally struggling with. But try to remember that she only needs a 74% (IIRC) score to pass, so she can afford to miss some questions and still earn her license (calculating wavelengths and frequency might not be something she knows how to do just yet, but she can still pass the exam without that skill).

With the enthusiasm of childhood, she will learn everything in due time, however.

PS -- Flash cards work well with young children.

MI0YLT and KB0HVB like this.
  4. KD8YMD

KD8YMD Ham Member QRZ Page

My son was into space anyways so I build off that maybe you could do something like that let her talk to other young hams as well

MI0YLT likes this.