ad: NXPsemi-1

TE Systems....

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N8SAN, Apr 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8SAN

N8SAN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh yeah! I know it's only good for 200watts. But thank you for that anyway!
    Actually talking with my buddy a little bit. I might be looking for a 1452g as opposed to the 1412g (or comparable). Reason being, I do have an inclining to try some JT65 EME. When not doing that, I can drive the 1452g with a few watts and it'll loaf around at 150 or so. Then when I finish finding an M2 antenna and couple lengths of LMR600, I'll have a decent enough amp to try and make something happen. I'd use my 7000, I have a rig blaster and a tough book to run it though. I know not the best, but would be fun to try my hand at it.

Steve, sounds like I should have the amp drop shipped to you first with a blank check to fix er up! :D I kid of course.

Tell ya what though, used TE or really any 350+watt vhf amps are hard to find.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're serious about the high powered TE amp it might pay to just go whole hog and get something a lot better, like the W6PQL 2m KW turnkey amp:
    [​IMG]

He ships those normally in 2 weeks ARO and while it does require a 50V 30A power supply, those are available pretty cheaply due to the huge telco market that uses them everywhere (most stuff is powered by 48Vdc and that's perfect for these LDMOS amps).

This costs rougly 4x the TE HPA but runs 3x-4x the output power and produces a cleaner signal using the LDMOS PA compared with the bipolar transistors used in the TE. The TE will also shut itself down (overheating) if you run 50% duty cycle JT65 after about 10 minutes; this amp won't, and can run 100% duty cycle at 1kW output for hours and hours.

3. N8SAN

I can get away with a few hundred here and there. But if I got a 3k amp.....I'd be sleeping with the hogs. :p
    Unfortunately, I have two expensive hobbies/interests. This and boating, wakeboarding in particular.

4. WB2WIK

You have it shipped elsewhere so you can pick it up and unpack it.

Then carry it in the door with a huge smile on your face: "Honey, you won't believe what someone was throwing away!":)

N8SAN likes this.
  5. N8SAN

Passed that along to my buddy too!

I have all my stuff shipped to my work! Mainly because it's safer. :D
    But 3k on a vhf amp is more self imposed. I'm significantly more interested and have more fun (as of right now) with HF....I'd buy an Alpha Solid state for my 7600 first. :cool:

My wife doesn't notice anything new is this shack... nor does she care to notice.
    IMG_5876.jpg

6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Break Out Another (3) Thousand...… Boat needs a new motor?

Ed

7. N8SAN

55EE66BC-06EA-496F-BF75-70C2D41F0699.jpeg Dear God.
    I hope not.
    Only has 500 hours.

8. KF5ONT

KF5ONT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the preamp is mainly for SSB work. Not so much a repeater feature.

I do some 2m SSB and wouldn't consider an amp without one. They really help that much on SSB. I have an RF Concepts and a TE, both work very well.

9. WB2WIK

The preamp is mainly for receivers that are pretty lousy.:)

Don't watch an S-meter, but "listen" (eyes closed) to a weak signal with the preamp on, then switch the preamp off and listen (eyes closed). Does the signal disappear or become so weak you can't hear it anymore?

If so, the receiver being used must be pretty poor. I've tried the "blind" test with my FT-736R many times, with the preamps in various solid state amps including the TE Systems, and the preamp doesn't do anything except make the S-meter read higher. But there's no signal, no matter how weak, that isn't just as readable with the preamp off as with it on. But "on" does drive the S-meter about 20 dB higher.:p

10. KF5ONT

KF5ONT Ham Member QRZ Page

My 3 lousy 2m rigs and I like preamps. o_O

Just sayin':p