Taylor 3-500ZG better than NOS Eimac 3-500Z Tube

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, Nov 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? I've never known them last that long !

My experience (and others I have spoken to) is typically about 10 years of average use in a Linear Amplifier . . . (don't ask me how many hours . . . but nowhere near 25,000 !)

Roger G3YRO

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Others reported over 30 years use and they had approximately 25K hours on the tubes. Be safe and rate Cetron 572B life for 5 years then.

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A word about cost....

When the 3-500Z appeared in the late 1960s, new Eimacs were priced at $34 in the Allied catalog.

Per the Westegg Inflation Calculator, $34 in 1969 inflates to $235.46 today.

N2AMM likes this.
  4. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Years ago the worst looking and most flattened hamfest tubes seen for sale were the 572B.

They aren't worth writing home about even when new.

5. N8FVJ

Damn hams selling flat tubes- shame on them. Personally, I never buy used tubes.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With the legal power limitations in the UK I would expect them to last forever.

N2AMM and N2EY like this.
  7. N8FVJ

Per G3YRO.
    G3YRO stated he has personal experience with NOS Cetron 572B and could not get more than 10 years life out of the NOS Cetron 572B tubes. If he operated 3 hours a day, that is about 10K hours. My quote of 25K hours is from another ham with poor math skills?

8. N2EY

One problem with "life" claims is that there's usually no documentation of actual use hours.

Consider a ham who operates an average of 2 hours per day, every single day. That's only 730 hours per year - and in most cases, less than half of that is transmitting.

I know serious contesters who get into about a dozen contests a year and average 30 hours operating per contest - but that's only 360 hours....

9. N2EY

400 watts, as I recall. A single 572B can do that.

10. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice to meet you. I use almost exclusively used tubes.