Taylor 3-500ZG better than NOS Eimac 3-500Z Tube

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, Nov 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

RF Parts Taylor 3-500ZG tubes at 10 years old still produce full power per reviews. NOS Eimac 3-500Z tubes have vacuum leaking issues that can arc inside. Are the Talyor 3-500ZG a better tube than the Eimac 3-500Z? The Taylor tube costs less vs NOS Eimac.

K0UO likes this.
  2. N8FVJ

BTW- The Rf Parts Taylor 3-500ZG was $129 ten (10) years ago, $200 a few months ago, now getting expensive at $230.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The difference may be ZG, And should be better.

4. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The dollar is devalued by about the same amount since 10 years ago. Around here, we call this the “slice of pizza index.”

Tariffs on Chinese goods hasn’t helped.

N2EY likes this.
  5. N8FVJ

Not true. The tube cost in 2010 with inflation is $152 today less new Chinese tariffs.

6. KD2ACO

Pizza has gone up more since then. :p

7. N8FVJ

Domino's has two medium pizzas for $12.99.

8. KD2ACO

They subsidize that with more expensive soda. I own an electronic equipment design and manufacturing business. While board loading, final assembly, test, and packaging for shipment is performed in Los Angeles, many of the parts I need are made in China. The cost of doing business for me has outpaced the economic indicators that many people quote for several reasons.

I believe that electronics manufacturers and their retail outlets try to keep costs under control as best as they can. This is the general consensus of several friends of mine in similar businesses. The costs of raw materials are up drastically, transportation, labor, tariffs, warranty repairs... I think that RFP 3-500 is still a good bargain and not outlandishly priced.

The new 3-500 is still cheap power. I would rather deal with a new one then pay more for a NOS Eimac that may be gassy.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    N2EY likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The NOS Eimacs have to be about 20 years old, and these tubes are known for leaking in storage just as much as they do in service. Unless the seller has some way to really test them and offer a warranty, I'd pass.

I'd go with "new," from China. I've been using RFP 3-500ZGs for a while now with no issues.

10. N8FVJ

I would much prefer the Chinese made graphite 3-500zg with the proven long life. Not only cheaper than NOS Eimac, the graphite plate is more heavy duty vs the Eimac metal plate.

K0OKS likes this.