ad: vanity

Tarheel on Travel Trailer

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N1SFT, Jul 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5HFI

W5HFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the Tarheel 400A. Been an RVr for years. My problem has always been the noise coming from the inverter which usually renders HF communication useless. Ive tried all the recommendations to no avail. the only thing that ever worked for me was to turn the inverter off.
    Happy RVing and hope to see you on the road. ps this is not to discourage you.

K0UO likes this.
  2. K9PHT

K9PHT Ham Member QRZ Page

I mounted 2M/440 antennas on the roof of my trailer and used a remote control head for my ICOM HF radio mounted in my truck. I finally came up with a couple of 5-foot small size triangle sections. I mounted these to fold up off the rear bumper of of my POPUP trailer. This give me a good 12-foot or so height and then used a all band off center antenna with the ends thrown up into the trees... Looked like an VEE antenna haha... I finally moved my ICOM HF radio to the trailer (easy to do) if I planned on being setup for a long period of time... My wraparound seating in my OFF-ROAD POPUP is a great location to operate my Ham Radio units... Had many of contacts from my POPUP trailer setup over the years... Like others I have to fight the Power Inverters hash noise. Even my truck has one installed in it. I usually operate 80/40 bands where I can operate between the noise bands...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    K9PHT

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    K0UO likes this.