ad: M2Ant-1

Tarheel on a Fiver Roof ?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N4MU, Mar 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all respondents! I wasn't sure where this thread was going at first but see that I have some thoughtful answers. Yes, I'm familiar with the Tarheel website...have even emailed Robert several times and always a fast good response by the way. First quarter of next year is when I will be fully-full-timed in the "fiver"...down near Dade City FL. I will certainly be trying out some ideas with the Tarheel...or you will see it listed for sale, replaced by a Hy-Gain or Cushcraft vertical...Thanks to all! It sure did take a long time to figure out what a fiver was though...LOL

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

My thought process works likes this.

If you have room for a Tarheel antenna on an RV, then you also have room for a much larger antenna on an RV.

It's not like you're driving the RV while the antenna is on it anyways.

So why the need to compromise? ...Using a compromise antenna?

3. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

https://hensleymfg.com/travel-trailer-vs-5th-wheel/
    Will give you the difference between a travel trailer type RV and a 5th wheel type RV.
    Fifth Wheel and travel trailer are two different types of RV.
    Thanks for the antenna mount ideas, I'll post pictures of my planned "fiver" ladder mount when finished.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why use obscure jargon like "fiver". It's silly. Use common terminology and avoid endless confusion. Thanks.

K2HAT likes this.
  5. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said, but that was the term that confused every one.

6. NS3L

NS3L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for clarifying that.. I was wondering if the fiver was something of a smaller cubit... Only god would know that.. Steve..

7. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

What is a Fiver?

8. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I know what a Fifth Wheel Travel Trailer is and have seen them for over 40 years.

Never heard of a Fiver, except one that has a photo of Abraham Lincoln. ;)

The Thread title is misleading too
    Tarheel on a Fiver Roof ?
    Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N4MU, Mar 24, 2015.

then in the posting it is Fiver Ladder. ?

Oh well. it is not really important. :)

10. KI7BMO

KI7BMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just as there are a bunch of common acronyms & slang terms used by any group, INCLUDING amateur radio, the community of people that use recreational vehicles have theirs.

RV, RVer, fiver, 5ver, 5th wheel, travel trailer, bumper pull, pop up, pup, full time, full timer, etc, etc. Having been an RVer for many years, including 2 pups, a class C, a fiver & an a-frame, I didn't have a problem knowing what he was referring to.

Heck, radio, HAM or otherwise, is one of the worst with both numbers and letter combinations, both official and unofficial.

Be fair and allow some slack for the occasional use of terminology that happens to not be familiar to you.

After all, this is the RV section of the forum.