Tarheel on a Fiver Roof ?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N4MU, Mar 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone want to suggest the best way to use a Tarheel antenna mounted to a fiver ladder? Specifically, what has anyone done for ground radials and/or counterpoise ideas? I know the antenna will work but I am looking for ideas for "the other half" of the antenna that were successful. Thanks!

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is a "fiver ladder"?

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps fiber ?

4. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Fifth wheel travel trailer ???

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

A ladder on a rabbit?

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A ladder on a small rabbit.

Hazel and Bigwig might have something to say.....

7. N6CTW

N6CTW Ham Member QRZ Page

N4MU
    [​IMG]Ham Member

<dl class="userstats" style="margin-right: 10px; margin-left: 0px; float: right; width: 150px;"><dt style="margin: 0px 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left;">Join Date</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Oct 2014</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left;">Location</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Near Columbia, SC</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left;">Posts</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">20</dd></dl>​

[​IMG] Tarheel on a Fiver Roof ?

Anyone want to suggest the best way to use a Tarheel antenna mounted to a fiver ladder? Specifically, what has anyone done for ground radials and/or counterpoise ideas? I know the antenna will work but I am looking for ideas for "the other half" of the antenna that were successful. Thanks!

Go to Tarheel Antenna website (www.tarheelatennas.com) and look for install photo. Their is some great ideas on how to mount the antenna from Tarheel of your choose on the top of or along side of your ladder of your fifth wheel recreational vehicle.

Cliff Wickey, N6CTW
    2015 Dutchmen Denali 316 RES Fifth Wheel
    2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

8. AC0US

AC0US Ham Member QRZ Page

Just stumbled on this thread...

I use a screwdriver antenna mounted to a telescoping mount that attaches to the RV body. When retracted, the whip extends about a foot above our class C RV. When extended, the whip portion is well above the roof. Ground straps are provided at the bottom to the frame, and at the top to the RV coach frame. The darn thing works fairly well when extended, hardly at all when retracted so it isn't useful as a mobile antenna mount in my opinion. It only takes the press of a button to raise and lower the antenna, which is certainly nice when you arrive in the rain or after dark.

I bought mine a few years ago from the New Mexico ham that designed it, but it's now fairly expensive and available here... http://www.alpineantenna.com/main/page_product_gallery_ez_lifter_rv_mount.html

9. K9PHT

K9PHT Ham Member QRZ Page

I mounted a LIL TARHEEL Screwdriver on a TARHEEL right angle mount to the side of my POPUP trailer roof. This raises up at least 8-feet off the ground when I raise my POPUP roof and I doubt the roof has much of a ground status to it...

The COAX is grounded to the trailer frame.

I was going to add a long ground strap from the TAR HEEL mount to the trailer frame ground but it didn't make much difference so I don't use it.

There is some photos on google where some hams have mounted their screwdriver antennas to the top of the FIVER ROOF LADDER.
    It does surprisingly well. I use a SWR METER in line with the COAX and raise and lower the LIL TARHEEL for best SWR. The back ground noise increases in the radio receiver at almost the point I have best SWR. I could just as easy get away with adding the extra short rg cable to keep the SWR-FWD POWER meter inline.

MVC-488S.JPG hqdefault.jpg
    These photos from GOOGLE SEARCH - I don't have any photos of my setup

The obvious problem is going to leave the ANTENNA MOUNTED when in travel mode. I saw one photo where it was hinged and laid over onto the roof like the BATWING antenna do. Even my LIL TARHEEL would probably exceed the 13.6 total height off the ground mounted on a 5th WHEEL TRAILER LADDER...

hope this helps...

NOTE: Just remembered the TAR HEEL WEB SITE has a whole bunch of photos including RV's on their home page...

Roy Ken

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  10. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a winner!