Tarheel and tunematic grief

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KD9NTD, Jul 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD9NTD

KD9NTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m not sure if anyone here can help me or not, but I’m out of options so I have nothing to lose but to try.

I have what I think is a Baby Tarheel. I bought it used. It works ok. I have included the picture of it, if anyone can tell me if I’m wrong on the model, it don’t say on it. I have matched the pictures I found online to it.

I decided to buy the tunematic for it. The problem is, the tunematic won’t raise it from it’s parked position. It barely moves, like it wants to try, but won’t. I have to disconnect it and put the stock switch back on it to get it to raise. If I keep trying with the tunematic, I get the clcl fault.

the manufacturer says it’s because the tunematic is a 2 speed, but the standard switch is just one speed. This I already know. I try tapping it a few times to keep it on low, but it still won’t raise. If I hold it in for more than a couple seconds, it kicks into second speed then faults. Every time.

what’s funny is, why does the standard stock switch raise it? I would think a switch is a switch. It either allows the power to the motor or it don’t. Why would swapping switches make a difference here?

my only other thought, is since it’s used, perhaps the antenna is dirty. I don’t know much about these, it’s my first one.

thanks

9DEC9E2F-3AA1-4E2D-8BA9-5C86729CA4D7.jpeg

2. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Ham Member QRZ Page

What radio are you using?
    You may need an interconnecting cable from the
    radio to the Tunmatic. Plus, some settings in your radio may need to be changed for it to work correctly.
    James
    WD5GWY

3. KD9NTD

Hi James

I am using the FT 450D

4. WD5GWY

Ok, this may be a redundant question, but, did you get the interface cable sold by Tunematic that works with Yaesu radios? If not, that could be the issue.
    The Tunematic is much more than a switch. And it's also possible it's defective.
    Just throwing out some ideas just in case you may have overlooked something.
    James
    WD5GWY

5. KD9NTD

I don’t have this thing hooked up to my radio, maybe I’m missing something. I thought the switch just raise the antenna up and down. I didn’t know it was supposed to interface with the radio.

I just planNed on getting the antenna and controller working right, then measuring the SWR and then setting it in the memory. And then once that was completed, just raise the antenna to the bands that I want to talk to and then to the radio to that band

6. KD9NTD

However, with that being said, I think I may have found the source of my problem. I think the antenna is just sticking. because yesterday I could raise it up and down with the stock switch and now I’m having trouble with that also

7. WD5GWY

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere.
    If the antenna has set for a long time unused, the motor or limit switches could cause problems.
    I have a Little Tarheel II setting in my garage that even though it is almost new ( bought several years ago) it has set so long that it won't move with power applied. Tarheel antennas said the motor may be frozen up. I haven't disassembled it yet to find out.
    If your antenna has set unused for any length of time, it may need cleaning inside. I would contact the manufacturer to see what they suggest doing.
    James
    WD5GWY

8. KD9NTD

Good info, and I am a half step ahead of you,,,,sorta.

I contacted the manufacturer yesterday and they said 2 things come to mind,,,, either a faulty power supply source or the motor needs servicing. They said if it was the latter, they gave me the contact person to get the information to send it in.

I just bought it and yes it was used, so possibly sat for a while.

As a work around, if I leave it setting on position 60 (which is resonant on 10 meter) I can take it up and down from there. So at least it is useable in this way. As long as I have some reference numbers, which I do. I have the settings for 10, 20 and 40

9. AJ3O

AJ3O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a word of advice.

One thing to watch out for with any screwdriver antenna is not to keep the motor running past the stop points (stall positions) at the lower or top positions. It happens by accident but try not to do this for more than a second or two. This will cause damage internally to the contacts and motor. This may more than likely fry the diodes at the motor or at the least heat the solder up enough to break the connection. Don't ask me how I know........

Yes you do need all connections made for the tunematic as the autotuner relies on a low power signal to check the SWR and pulse counts then run the algorithms to tune it.

Check your email, I sent you some information (3 files) in case you did not get it with your purchase.

I used a little tarheel ii for years and just used the stock switch. I now use a Hi-Q 6/160 Piranha with an Tunematic but keep the little tarheel ii as a backup.

73 and good luck,
    Joe / AJ3O

10. KD9NTD

Hi Joe

I got your emails. I almost didnt. I went to my junk inbox looking for a missing email from someone else and yours was there. Thanks a ton!

I went into the whole thing blind. I did not know these were radio specific with the tuner.

I am going to dive into this in a couple days.

I was wondering how hard it was to take one of these apart and check/clean it.One of the people from Tarheel answered my inquiry and gave me a name and phone number of some woman to contact to send it in for repair. A price was not discussed, which scares the hell out of me seeing what they are charging for these things new.