Tarheel 75A vs Little Tarheel II

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W4MWM, Dec 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. W4MWM

W4MWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for some feedback from those that have experience with the two. I've run a Little Tarheel II w/the longer whip for years, and for what I do mobile, it suits my purposes well. It has over the years, taken an occasional beating, cracked the lexan cover, broken molex plug, even snapped the top off once (my fault) but I've always been able to put it back together so to speak. I rarely work anything lower than 40m and I simply am not interested in a "full sized" screwdriver.

That said, I'm considering a new antenna and am debating the real world performance difference between the 75A, which I have no experience with, and the II. Would lower band performance (40m) realize much of an improvement by going w/the 75A? My assumption is probably not, but we know what is said about assuming :)

Tnx
    Marc

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 75A has a slightly better Q, but I suspect you'd never notice depending on how it is mounted.

3. KB7FSC

KB7FSC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Marc,

Have you tried giving Tarheel a call? I purchased a 75a this fall, and I was debating between the 75a and Tarheel II. I spoke with Tarheel, and they were very informative and great to deal with. They offered some performance comparisons between the two antennas, and advised to go with the 75a over the Tarheel II for better 40 and 80m performance. If you haven't done so already, give them a call. It doesn't look like there are many members on here that have directly compared the two antennas. So far, I've been satisfied with the 75a, and have been having fun with stateside and dx on 20m as well as better performance on 40 and 80 compared to my hamsticks I used previously.

Another consideration on the 75a vs the II is the tuning speed is quicker and it can handle a little more power through the larger coil. It will also handle a longer whip while mobile, which also improves the performance on 40 and 80m.

Have fun with your mobile! 73,

Wane - KB7FSC