Target Receiver Gain?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by KK5JY, Sep 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

My computer Hiccuped....Had to reboot..
    I was going to add that also for usable Rf Gain the Ft (Cutoff) of the transistor should be at least 6-8x the maximum operating frequency...

KK5JY likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I was trying to point out, you just said it better. :) The stages I was planning were voltage devices.

3. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "I'm working on a home-brew receiver for LF, and I'm wondering if anybody has recommendations for a goal for front-end receiver gain?"

What kind of antenna are you going to "stick into it"?

I used a couple low-gain wideband rx antennas into a Winradio WR-G303e and whatever gain they had in that rx package worked well down into the LF range (30 kHz to 300 kHz).

One thing of note, I used a "ground breaker" 1:1 (flux-coupled) transformer in the shack on the coax from the antenna - reduced the RFI back-conducted from the shack into the antenna significantly and could see real carriers and other LF sigs vs 'just a bunch of birdies' from gear in the shack ...

The WB antenna already had a 9:1 Z xformer in it, but, the "ground breaker" 1:1 made ALL the difference in the 'whirled'.

KK5JY likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure, but I have a number of antenna designs that I have used for 160m, so I might try an updated version of one of those, first.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

120 dB OVERALL gain is about right. You DON"T want that all in the front end, however!

KK5JY likes this.