ad: MLSons-1

TAPR WSPR TX Shield And WsprryPi Works, But It Takes Some Work

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, Jun 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K4EAE

K4EAE Ham Member QRZ Page

My Pi3 w/tapr shield stopped transmitting. The program is running but nothing being heard, was working fine for 3 months. Any ideas on what

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Nothing being heard, or nothing being transmitted? My WSPRLite coverage on 20M dropped from 15754 kM (VK2 land) to 8 km, for long periods of time. Propagation is brutal currently.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

3. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have to give TAPR credit on this one.

I took a new RPi out of the box, plugged in the board, booted it up, installed & updated the Raspberian OS, made an antenna cable to hook to a piece of coat-hanger, hooked up a little QPR tuner - and the thing has been chugging away ever since.

The little thing is goin' nutso......

[​IMG]

4. KN6JDF

KN6JDF Ham Member QRZ Page

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I think I found a solution to this problem. I'm running the same setup as K0PIR, and I'm also having WiFi drop out after the first few seconds of wspr tx.

My hypothesis is that the Tapr board sitting right on top of the Broadcom WiFi chip is causing interference and causing the WiFi stack to crash.

To validate this hypothesis, I just used a few jumper cables from the GPIO pins to the Tapr board in order to separate the two, and that has solved my problem. Was able to let wspr run overnight with no issues, just after connecting GPIO4, GROUND and VDD, then setting the Raspberry Pi and Tapr board a few inches apart.

Hope this helps someone else who lands on this old thread!