Talk me out of this

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a very good SS HF station. Now, I have this weakness to buy a very good & serviced vintage all tube HF transceiver for a little over $300 shipped. I likely could sell it for what I paid. I need this like a hole in the head and would only use it for check in on vintage nets and once in a while some standard HF communications. It does not have chance of performing like my main HF station. Do I really want this vintage radio?

2. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:p
    If you DIDN’T want it you wouldn’t be asking!

(my new phone put all those faces up there, not me)

WD4IGX likes this.
  3. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Buy it!

KA4DPO and WS4JM like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

:D:D

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel your pain.

Last Sunday at the WACOM Hamfest, a ham at the table next to my club’s brought in a Hallicrafters FPM 300. Looked in perfect, near mint condition. With the original manual AND spare finals. He was asking only $100.
    0749a.jpg
    Boy, was I tempted. Boy, would it look great on the operating table. And I’ve been a Hallicrafters fan for years, going back to my Tech and General days, working the world on an HT-37 & SX-101A. I felt, for just a moment, like a museum curator again (I once had quite a collection of Hallicrafters gear, half working, half in need of work, and no time or money to work on them)

But I barely have enough room for the working rigs I own, I have an Argonaut 509 to restore and a uBITX to build, plus about 3 other projects... and no room, no room.

I almost gave in. Bill W3WH even offered to front me the shekels (although I had enough $$ on me) and he was debating a Centurion amp for $600.
    0685a.jpg
    But we both resisted, and left empty handed.

...and then he went and won first prize, but I digress...

Can you sleep well knowing you passed on this vintage station? Or will it haunt your dreams for years to come? Answer that, and you will have obtained wisdom.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    WM2Q likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do what you wanna do, be what you wanna be yeah.

K3EY likes this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I passed on a working, decent shape KW 520S with the extra vfo and a desk mike for cheap once. Vowed I'd never do that again.

WD4IGX likes this.