Taking my exam(s) tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by K1AHB, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1AHB

K1AHB Ham Member QRZ Page

About a month ago I got the crazy idea that it might be fun to get my amateur radio license. Initially I was just planning on going for my Tech, but the practice questions were easy enough and I had enough time where I thought I could work in studying for General. Test day is tomorrow and I'm pretty confident I'm ready, though I'm still quite nervous/anxious.

I found out a guy I work with has his Advanced ticket but has been inactive for the last few years. After some conversations with him, I convinced him to power up his rig again and upgrade to Extra class. A couple of other folks who sit nearby were interested in our conversations and are now planning on taking both Tech and General exams as well.

This site has been enormously helpful in preparing for the exams and fueling my curiosity.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get on the airwaves soon.

gluegun

2. KC5AKB

KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Luck and Good Job

Keep up the good work. Let us all know how the test went .
    If I can be of any help let me know.
    Later,
    Ric

3. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Like Ric said, keep up the good work and let us know how you do.
    I used QRZ to upgrade both General and Extra and now
    I am a volunteer staff member for QRZ being a Dx Helper Mananager and a Forums Moderator.

It has been a blast watching QRZ grow and knowing I have had a hand in this as well as helping hams world wide.

Once you get your call listed in the QRZ DB (will be done by the FCC uls DB upload)
    post in the Dx Helpers area for us to change your user id to your call sign.
    This will give you more access to the QRZ forums among other things.

Again, Good Luck

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Outstanding! Not only have you recruited yourself, you've 're-treaded' an inactive old timer and recruited two other newcomers!

Good luck on the tests - I hope you pass both Tech and General.

Getting the license is the first step. Next, you have to get on the air! That's where the fun and challenges happen!

5. KC5JIM

KC5JIM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck on your tests! Keep up the good work of spreading the word about ham radio!

6. KI6DKC

KI6DKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck on your tests!

7. K1AHB

Thanks for all the encouragement! To be honest, when I started writing the OP it sounded like nonsense, but I needed to let off some steam.

KD40VM, thanks for the info on how that process works. I tried finding information on it this afternoon, but it still didn't make sense to me until I saw your post.

By the 15th, all four of us at work will have taken our tests and hopefully either gotten our licenses or upgraded.

I'm off to take a few Technician practice tests to make sure I don't forget any of that information.

8. K1AHB

I passed both elements! 32/35 on Tech, 34/35 on General. Now I just need to wait for my call sign.

9. N1DE

N1DE Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations

10. N9FM

N9FM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well done, and welcome to HR.

Cheers,
    Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.