ad: chuckmartin

Taking HAM go-kit on an airliner ??

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KD0TLI, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KD0TLI

KD0TLI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to take my go-kit on a trip to Nevada soon, but not sure what to expect when trying to do this.
    I have a suitcase go-kit with my TS-480SAT in it, and a Buddipole.

The go-kit meets carry-on luggage size requirements but I'm not sure what the airliner is going to say when I show up at the gat with it ?
    Any of you have experience with this type of thing ?

My Go-kit project can be seen on my QRZ page.
    KD0TLI

2. K3YI

K3YI Ham Member QRZ Page

You should be fine. I traveled today with my radio in my carry-on. On recommendation from others I have a copy of my license. Avoid tools and consider checking the tripod if you have one.

Cheers!

3. N1KPW

N1KPW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've packed up and traveled a few times with my FT897, portable antennas, coax and a small power supply, but I've always checked the bag. Put a copy of license on top of everything and had the old 'this bag has been opened for inspection' note everytime, but other than that, no issues or problems to report. I also took the time to contact a club or two in the area of where I was traveling to and then check in to whatever nets they run, just in case the HF conditions are off or the hotel has some interesting RFI, I can still say I had fun with the hobby.

4. KD0TLI

Thanks guys for the comments.

The one tip I keep hearing from everyone who's done it, is have a copy of your license with the equipment....I hadnt thought of that initially.

Looking forward to operating portable..I love to do that.

73's KD0TLI

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

TSA would take a look at MY GoKit, and yell
    "SECURITY!!!! IT IS OFF TO GITMO FOR THIS MAN!!!"
    "This SURE looks like a BOMB to us!!!!"

6. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

I've taken my HT on planes to listen to aircraft band. I've told them at the door that I have it and they all have said OK but no transmitting. One asked me to turn it on so that he could see that it's operational.

7. KD0TLI

Guys, I have just returned from my trip to Nevada, so I thought I'd post an update for you.
    Rather than post this info twice just check out my profile. It was interesting traveling with the gear.

8. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

My information is a little old, but the comments here seem to indicate that it's still valid.

I traveled a lot between JFK and LAX in '07 and '08, and some trips I had LOTS of radio stuff, both in my carry-on and in my checked luggage and never once had any problem at all with it. Radios and wires are of very little interest to the TSA. There is a length limitation for tools that will be enforced with carry-on luggage, but the only thing that'll happen is you'll be asked to either check or surrender any tool that doesn't qualify.

Don't know where the "make sure you have your license" comments come from. The TSA never appeared to care one way or another if any radio was going to be used legally or not. They only care about stuff that could be dangerous during the flight. And, anyway, what "real ham" doesn't always have at least a copy of his or her license in their wallet? One never knows when one will get the opportunity to operate a station!

Here's the worst thing that happened when I was traveling with radios. Along with an '857, a tuner, and an antenna in my carry-on, I had a Bencher paddle*. The TSA guy pulled it out, in it's original box, and said, "What's this?" I answered that "It's a keyer paddle." He was 100% happy with that answer and put it back in my carry-on. I wonder what the probability is that he knew what a "keyer paddle" is?

*Not a recommended practice. Those things are far too heavy to be casually included in a portable kit, they take up too much room, and are too fragile. I never did solve that problem. I punted with the MFJ portable paddle.

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

This question seems to come up every month or so. Radios are not on the prohibited list, however, operating them in flight is not allowed.

Why would your HT or HF radio be any more an issue than a iPad, laptop, etc? There are lots of electronic items brought on flights every day.

You might have an issue with the Buddipole is it can be seen as a possible weapon (long pointy things). Same thing with any tools like screwdrivers, wrenches, etc., they don't like them in carry ons. Checking your tools, and possibly your buddipole might be the best way to avoid a headache.

I have flown with an HT hundreds of time (there is always one in my briefcase), and with various HF rigs (TS-440, IC-703, FT-857, etc.) on many flights - never a problem. And I was never asked for a copy of my license - how would that be relevant unless was operating?

Steve
    KV6O

10. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Some detail about tools. I'd picked up a set of combination wrenches at a hamfest that were in a blister pak. At one of the security checks I was informed that two of them were too long. But instead of confiscating the whole package or making me check the set, the agent took extra time and trouble to find a knife to cut open the blister pack and removed only those wrenches that were out of spec. IMHO, he went "above and beyond" on that one.

The thing that worried me was having a lot of just plain wire in my carry-on. Seems that that could obviously be a weapon, as in a strangulation. But TSA appears not to be worried about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.