ad: hrd-2

Taking 2 weeks to get icom 5100

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KI5GLO, Oct 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KW0FRE

KW0FRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Report it to Paypal. You may get your money back.

2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

That tells you nothing, the IP is the Google email server. It's not going to be traceable beyond that.
    You still haven't told us which specific payment method you used, was it Paypal goods and services or Friends and Family? Makes a huge difference with regard to whether you can get money back.

KA2FIR likes this.
  3. KI5GLO

KI5GLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did friends and family.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Your money is gone. You have absolutely zero recourse because you paid via F&F.

Lick your wounds and move on.

F&F is for a GIFT. It's NOT for buying stuff... it's to give money to your friends and/or your family so there is no transaction fee. You simply gave your money away to a scammer, asking for nothing in return by that action.

FOLKS: NEVER EVER EVER pay anyone for anything using Friends & Family! It's always a scam!

Dave
    W7UUU

WD8T, KE0DZW, KG5THG and 2 others like this.
  5. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's too bad, Paypal won't do anything for you in that case.
    FYI and for the future, it's actually against the Paypal terms of service to use the Friends and Family option to pay for goods or services, it's only intended for sending money to someone you know. It's typically requested by scammers because it gives the buyer no recourse once they realize they have been scammed.
    Whenever someone you are considering a purchase from requests to be paid by F&F it's a huge red flag and almost 100% guarantee of a scam.

edit- I was typing as Dave posted, basically saying the same thing with slightly different words.

KG5THG and N3AB like this.
  6. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you know about this forum prior to sending money?

7. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems like the Wanted Ads forum on many hobby sites are the new go to for most scammers these days. With the advanced security now being used here and on many other sites the scammers are always finding new outlets to conduct their crimes. As stated above use of F/F on PayPal is always a big red flag. I see legitimate hams selling goods on other sites however stating that they only take PayPal using Friends and Family. These hams have to stop doing this. They are making it very easy for the scammers to look legitimate. To stop this attack on us all hams have to stop using this form of payment. Thank you for posting your story. It will help other hams in the future from becoming another victim of a crime.

KK7AMB likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am almost sure that the sender IP is in the Hash. ;)

The IP just can not be vied by a normal user.

But no problem for Google or the Gov or a White Hat Hacker to decipher. :)

Never send Payment to your Ex Wife using Friends and Family. :rolleyes:

KA2FIR likes this.
  9. KK7AMB

KK7AMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Right. Friends and Family = no/little recourse.

It's been a while since I've done much with PayPal.....but as I recall, they charge a 3-4% fee (I'm not sure what the exact fee is currently) for using the PayPal "goods" option, which the seller gets hit with, ultimately reducing the seller's bottom line. Legitimate sellers who request Friends and Family are often trying to avoid this fee, so they request funds via Friends and Family; I believe sellers are also restricted to a certain amount of money received, per month (or the type of account that is used is upgraded to some sort of business type of account, if memory serves: verify for yourself, of course). I also seem to recall that PayPal TOS also prohibits sellers from explicitly "charging" the amount of the fee (i.e.: asking that the 3% be added to the final cost, to cover said fee). PayPal suggests that the fee be incorporated into the final asking price.

I never send funds for goods via Friends and Family. If a seller is asking for funds via Friends and Family and If the overall price of something I'm buying is reasonable (subjective, of course), I'll sometimes offer the 3% "extra" without being asked for it, informing the seller that I won't use Friends and Family. Otherwise, I just won't buy it.

KA2FIR likes this.
  10. W5HEX

W5HEX Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn’t give up that easy. If you paid by credit card, you can contact your CC company or your bank and try and get the funds reversed since you never received the item. We need to challenge these scammers as much as we can. Time to fight back...even if you lose.

KA2FIR likes this.