Take your exam online - It's a great experience

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by KB9YOJ, Jan 5, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a W5YI and ARRL VE, I have proctored both in-person (ARRL) and on-line sessions (W5YI) and have enjoyed both. However, the current pandemic causes me to restrict in-person sessions.

In any case, sessions held my team (WM7X - Spout Springs Repeater Association) include both online and in-person opportunities. With hamstudy.org and exam.tools available, I proctor from home and for, in-person, folks are handed a tablet to use exam.tools to take the exam. The best of both worlds!

By taking the exams this way, results are submitted very quickly and, while a day or two (weekends) to get your license or upgrade from the FCC ULS site is usually the case, it has taken as little as 10 minutes after a successful exam to receive them.

That always amazes me. The "old" way of paper and wet signatures with its one to two week lag time just is not acceptable anymore.

Anyway, rather TL;DR, hamstudy.org for sample tests and scheduling your test session(s) and exam.tools to take the exam work very well.

Note: I receive no pecuniary interest in sharing the above; I am just a pleased VE who wants as little drag and friction on folks getting their licenses or upgrades.

K4MID and AI6MS like this.
  2. W1GNL

W1GNL Ham Member QRZ Page

I found my online test at the same link provided by the OP. I took my Extra Class test online and it was overall a fantastic experience for me. I found all the VE's to be polite they all congratulated me on passing my exam. I signed up with PARC https://parcradio.org/index.html but I'm sure there are others if you follow the link provided by the OP and this one https://hamstudy.org/sessions/remote - Yes I am aware you can study at hamstudy and yes I am aware you can take practice exams, but if you follow the link you will see where you can take the exam online.

K4MID likes this.
  3. K4MID

K4MID Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed the online testing experience so I much I signed up to be a VE the same day so I could help others have the same experience. Lots of people are getting to test that otherwise would not have do to distance or a “local” in person test and/or time.

4. G8XQB

G8XQB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought this was very interesting!

I took both the online practice test for the technician exam as well as working through the online study questions (again, for technician), just to see what the result would be. I managed above 80% in all the tests/questions, despite not knowning (really anything) about US licencing conditions.

Not disparaging anything - I thought it was a really good way for potential amateurs to study and pass their exam - I only wish IO had a US postal address so I could take the test and get a US callsign :D

K4MID likes this.
  5. K8VSY

K8VSY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I took my Amateur Extra exam online via https://ham.study/ I think it was with GLAARG. It was a pretty straight forward process via Zoom and screen share. I had to show my room and surroundings, but it went well. If there was another test to take I would totally do online again lol. The only thing I think online exams miss is the bonding and experience of doing it in person, but I think this could definitely help folks in more remote areas who can't travel as much to take the exam and get licensed. I hope it continues even after the pandemic.

AI6MS, KC1QAE and K4MID like this.
  6. W9YW

W9YW Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Yesterday, in person in a huge open area, we licensed one, and upgraded one at the Bloomington IN ARRL VEC.

The original poster in this thread would've been seated, but there was an RTTY contest with his name on it, and well, Extra has its privileges.

But it makes me wonder if I can find seats for the General Radiotelephone test online. I know several that are looking for nearby seats at reasonable prices to take it.

73 Tom W9YW

7. K4MID

K4MID Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you are referring to the Marine FCC Licenses, they have been available online for years before the Amateur. I’ve done all my Commercial FCC Licenses with online testing. Since the testing requirements are actually more lax for comercial it’s easier to do those remotely.

PM me if you want ECs that do them online, but most can probably be found by googling marine FCC online

8. K4CUA

K4CUA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I took and passed my Extra on February 28 of last year (2021), after about a month of study using hamtestonline.com. It was a great experience.

9. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife took her General exam via an online session in 2020 during COVID. She actually surprised me as she scheduled an early test and woke me up to tell me she had upgraded. They do a pretty good job from what I hear at keeping the integrity of the exams. I believe her VE's were with W5YI. My local W5YI isn't doing online exams, and I don't know the status of the current local group as COVID meant the inability to use the university classrooms. I have volunteered for a few testing sessions over the years but I am way on the bottom of the list since the sessions are south and I am way north.

10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you really want to take the test, send me a private message, and you can use my mailing address (unless I discover you're a terrorist or something, but you don't look like one).

There is a catch, however. If you ever visit the U.S. and you have a U.S. license, then you'll be stuck with those privileges. For example, you would need at least a General class to operate HF below 10 meters, other than CW on 80, 40, and 15. With your UK license, you can operate with full privileges.

G8XQB likes this.