ad: EMPShield-1

Take your exam online - It's a great experience

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by KB9YOJ, Jan 5, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You're right, and my first assumption and post above were wrong.

These actually are "FCC" (VE) exams, on line! First I've heard of this, and I don't recall seeing a big splash in QST about it so was unaware this was even possible.

Pretty cool. Tests using Zoom. A bit more complicated, as they indicate you need two devices with cameras running the whole time, etc. -- but evidently possible. I guess COVID drove this -- wonder if COVID finally goes away and gathering in groups is no longer considered a possible hazard, will the on-line tests still be available?

KU4X and KB9YOJ like this.
  2. K6JEA

K6JEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You’re correct. I should have followed the link. Thanks.

KU4X likes this.
  3. KB9YOJ

KB9YOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No problem. It's up to the VEC if they want to see your hands and face at the same time, but my VE's only had me just pick up my laptop and show them the environment. They really want to make sure it is fair and no cheating can occur.

Matt

4. AI6MS

AI6MS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, online exams have been a thing since 2014, though most groups at the time required an on-site proctor. Fully-remote exams were first done in March of 2020 in response to COVID. ExamTools is the examination software developed by Richard Bateman KD7BBC who runs the company Signal Stuff (and also produces the online study platform and app called HamStudy). In 2020 alone, ExamTools was used to administer over 10,000 exam elements and accounted for over 20% of the total number of amateur radio licenses granted that year!*
    And congrats to Matt on your Upgrade!

Cheers,

-Marcel AI6MS
    Volunteer Examiner and ExamTools Support Volunteer

*https://blog.hamstudy.org/2021/03/a-year-of-remote-exams/
    **http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-provid...xaminers-in-developing-remote-testing-methods and http://www.arrl.org/news/remotely-administered-amateur-exam-systems-showing-promise

K4MID, N6ATF, K9UR and 1 other person like this.
  5. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine was done online through the Alaska club
    The guys were really great.
    They called me ahead of the test to make sure zoom was set up and we could all see and hear each other. They also had me laughing my butt off.

6. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K9UR

K9UR Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. And every elementary. Middle high school and college / university have been doing testing online since early 2020 with Covid.

Welcome hams / ham radio to the 21st century !

N6HCM and W9YW like this.
  8. KC1QAE

KC1QAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Used both LA and AARC. Good experience with both. Very glad I did it.

K4MID and KB9YOJ like this.
  9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I took a professional certification exam (ITIL Foundation) well before Covid (2018 I think) via a virtual session. It wasn't Zoom, but a proprietary piece of software. I had to pan my laptop's camera around the room to show there were no course materials available. As you point out, this is not a new concept.

Chris

10. KB9YOJ

KB9YOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Marcel-

Thanks for popping in the conversation! I watched your video before I did the exam to know what to expect. I remember reading the press release and I think it was in QST too.

Matt
    KB9YOJ

K4MID and AI6MS like this.